BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

ABS Fault While Backing Down Driveway

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  tvguy 
#1 ·
While backing my 2002 K1200LT down the driveway while in neutral and applying front brake the bike will on occasion lose power brake assist and then the red triangle abs lamp will come on and be steady lit. Re staring the bike always clears the fault and brakes work as expected. Anyone know what the cause of this might be and if there is any need to worry about the breaking system?

Thanks
Joe

#2 ·
rovero said:
While backing my 2002 K1200LT down the driveway while in neutral and applying front brake the bike will on occasion lose power brake assist and then the red triangle abs lamp will come on and be steady lit. Re staring the bike always clears the fault and brakes work as expected. Anyone know what the cause of this might be and if there is any need to worry about the breaking system?

Thanks
Joe
I have no idea why you would lose the power assist, but I suspect the fault is because the ABS hasn't had a chance to complete its serl-test. This generally occurs only when moving forward and above a certain threshold speed. Not sure the exact speed, but most vehicles are around 5-6 MPH.

#5 ·
I have to back down my drive way all the time and use the brake to control the decent. I've never lost power assist even when its energized with the battery only. Sometimes I don't start it until I get to the steet. Not sure why yours faults and you have to reset. How is your brake fluid level?

#6 ·
I have first hand knowledge of this problem... First make sure the brake fluids are topped off in the reservoir under the seat.

Make sure you battery is nice and charged.

Start bike before you roll down the driveway. Brake light should blink all the way to the street and stop blinking as you ride away.

If these simple thing haven't fixed the problem... start puckering up because you are on your way to buying a brand new ABS system for the low low price of $2700.00
Ask me how I know all this stuff!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.