BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

Yes, I've looked all through the Hall of Wisdom, but couldn't find specific info on my problem. I have a 2002 LT with ~45K miles on it. I have replaced the brake lines (a year or so ago), and followed the manual procedures for refilling and bleeding the brake system. Had zero problems with it after that work.

The other day, the brake failure annunciators went wild. The left light blinks at the 4Hz rate, and the right light is steadily lit. I saw the matrix of light indications in the manual, but that doesn't provide any useful info. The three reservoirs are all full, and the battery is new and charged fully. The rear brake pads are about one-eight of an inch thick, plus the backing plates. The front brake seems to work normally, servo and all, but the rear pedal is mushy, with only residual braking, and the servo motor doesn't come on when the rear brake is actuated. Brake light behavior is normal for both front and rear actuators. None of the manuals gives any indication of proper resistive reading for the ABS sensors, but my rear one shows an open circuit. Wiring from the connector to the collar on the sensor is intact.

I would appreciate hearing from others who have experienced the same problem, and the solutions that they found. Thanks.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Mine went crazy when the rear pads were low.

Did you say 1/8 inch thick on the rear?
That seems about where mine were.
You can try replacing the rear pads for twentyfive dollars.
Or you could top off your rear brake circuit.

I chose new pads and my issues went away. :bmw:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,341 Posts
That is telling you 1/2 your ABS unit is not functioning, specifically the rear by your own description. Need to have the dealer (or someone with a GS-911) do a read out of the faults for more specific info but it sounds like time to replace the unit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts