BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a ride Saturday in 43° weather. ABS went off on a slow stop at a sandy intersection. Abs tried to reset as I pulled away, but with a strange sound. ABS warning lights started to flash! After a trip to the dealer and a new battery the ABS unit is toast. It had a piston failure code and resets the code on pulling away. Tried exercising it on MoDiTec, but it now fails routinely with that code. Just had the clutch and brakes flushed this fall. I really wish I had bought an extended warranty. $1605 for the unit and $375 for installation. 48K on the bike.

Anyone have a good used ABS unit? I have a post in the classifieds, but thought I may get more responses here.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Chuck, there is a guy on eBay selling brake parts for an '03 (IIRC). He had the front and rear brake calipers listed a few days ago. Did not see the ABS unit listed, but in at least one of his ads he said to email him for other parts. It might be worth checking out. Good luck.

Bill

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ABS Fault

Thanks Bill,
I think the ABS unit needs to be from a 99-01 to work. Does anyone know if the k12RS unit is the same?

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
iowalt said:
Does anyone know if the k12RS unit is the same?
It doesn't appear to be, no. I checked part numbers of an ABS Pressure Modulator Hydro Unit for both 2000 KLT and KRS and they're not the same:

KLT: # 34 51 2 333 232

KRS: # 34 51 2 331 637

Links to online parts' fiches in the HoW (k.1).

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Re: ABS on 2000LT

Chuck:

Seems we are quite similar, my ABS went out almost a year ago. I've secured a replacement unit, but no time to install it as of yet. But one place you might want to check: http://www.re-psycle.com/

I acutally found my replacemet on EBay, look under "Buy It Now" dealers. But be warned, some of those dealers have gone like dealer prices for used parts. You might have to keep a diligent watch for some time, but it is worth the effort.

As for your 2000, it will operate quite well without the ABS. Only aggravation is the flashing lights and you can undo the bulb to stop that.

ttyl

1 - 6 of 6 Posts