BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 K1200LT (48K) ABS lights started flashing alternately so I took it to the dealer to diagnose the problem. Of course the verdict was the pump was shot and needed to be replaced. I took the advise from several posts and flushed the entire brake system. I had the bike in for a new set of tires and asked the dealer if they would run another diagnosis on the pump. They agreed and the outcome was the same. We discussed a couple of options to git rid of the annoying lights so I paid the tab and rode off. New Metzlers were handling great! I happed to look down just behind the electrical tape I had put over the lights and noticed they were no longer flashing. I found a place to pull over and shut the bike off. After removing the tape and restarting the engine, the lights began to flash together and as I pulled away went completely out. I hope the pump continues to function properly. Flushing the system definitely worked for me. I appreciate everyone who posts such helpful information. :rotf:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,093 Posts
I don't know what your dealer was doing but usually the wig wag lights indicate a low fluid level - not an ABS failure. By flushing and topping off the reservoirs you most likely solved all your problems. Enjoy!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Flashing ABS lights on a 99-04 are a hard coded ABS Failure. I replaced one on my 2000. The ABS pump took about 12 hours to replace. I bought a good used unit for about $600.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,093 Posts
iowalt said:
Flashing ABS lights on a 99-04 are a hard coded ABS Failure. I replaced one on my 2000. The ABS pump took about 12 hours to replace. I bought a good used unit for about $600.
Close but the real date range is 99-early 2001. All integral (late 2001 on) brakes are self re-setting once the fault is fixed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts