BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had earlier made a post about intermittant speedometer failure on my 2007 K1200LT. I have since bought it in to my local dealer and was told it was the ABS control box that needs to be replaced to fix the problem. I still am not totally convinced that the unit itself is the problem (and the $2500 price for the unit!) and feel it is possibly an electrical connection to or near the control unit itself. Has anyone had a simular problem or any ideas? The speedometer worked intermittantly at first, then not at all, then worked several times breifly after the mechanic had tracked down the problem, and now not at all again. This makes me believe it may be something that was unplugged and plugged back in again. It was working when I picked it up, but was told the unit needed to be replaced and the speedometer problem would happen again, which it did after riding a few miles. I have not messed with it since and not really sure where to look anyway. Any input is appreciated, thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Someone recently had a similar issue which turned out to be a FD failure. Check your FD drain plug for metal fragments.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but I'm sure it's not related to the FD and is an electrical problem. My FD has been recently serviced

·
Registered
438 Posts
Do I remember something about later LT's not using the final drive gear for speed sensing ??..........but rather the ABS ring (on the rear wheel ?) with the wires running
up along the swingarm. That's a hostile environment back there, lots of flexing,
with tie downs causing stress points.
I'd say ... look for a break in that sensor wire.... under a tie down point or where it flexes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, but that's all been checked before it went to the shop. They checked too.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Close. Later model LT's have the ABS ring mounted near one of the FRONT rotors. The earlier models (the good ones :)) have the ABS ring at the rear and are the ones that suffer the wire break at the swing arm pivot point.

Loren

rhawk said:
Do I remember something about later LT's not using the final drive gear for speed sensing ??..........but rather the ABS ring (on the rear wheel ?) with the wires running
up along the swingarm. That's a hostile environment back there, lots of flexing,
with tie downs causing stress points.
I'd say ... look for a break in that sensor wire.... under a tie down point or where it flexes.

·
Registered
231 Posts
LTRiderAZ said:
I had earlier made a post about intermittant speedometer failure on my 2007 K1200LT. I have since bought it in to my local dealer and was told it was the ABS control box that needs to be replaced to fix the problem. I still am not totally convinced that the unit itself is the problem (and the $2500 price for the unit!) and feel it is possibly an electrical connection to or near the control unit itself. Has anyone had a simular problem or any ideas? The speedometer worked intermittantly at first, then not at all, then worked several times breifly after the mechanic had tracked down the problem, and now not at all again. This makes me believe it may be something that was unplugged and plugged back in again. It was working when I picked it up, but was told the unit needed to be replaced and the speedometer problem would happen again, which it did after riding a few miles. I have not messed with it since and not really sure where to look anyway. Any input is appreciated, thanks!
I own 2007 and had the speedometer problem too - it was dead. At the same time the cruise control did not engage and the auto-volume on the radio quit working. It was like the bike was not moving.
Luckily it was still under warranty.
Yes, it was the ABS module that they replaced to fix it.
At first, the bike was in the shop for over 3 weeks. They kept replacing all wires and sensors without any effect. Finally, I guess they were told to replace the ABS module and that fixed it. Good thing it was covered by warranty, otherwise the $2500 would be a major hit to my budget.

BJ

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
All K1200LT's have both front & back wheel sensor to tell the ABS what the wheels are doing. The '02 and up sensor for the rear have both speed & ABS in one. The earlier bikes had 2 sensors in the rear.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
I am afraid it is true the ABS sensor doubles as the feed to the speedometer and that feed, of course, comes from the ABS brain. Integrated technology is great for the designers but hell on the maintainers pocket book. Use the GPS if the ABS and Brakes are working otherwise. I never use the speedo at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts