BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering removing the "bad brake pump" on my 04 LT and trying to take it apart and cleaning it to see if I get lucky and solve my problem.I have a few threads regarding the pump problem if you want to know the details. If that doesn't work then I am either going to have to pay the dealer to fix or sell as a "parts bike". I am leaning towards the parts bike....

My question is...what is the proper procedure for getting one of these filled with brake fluid either before and/or after installing on the bike. Obviously there will be air in the system and a complete bleed will be required. Is a vacuum "draw" needed to ensure air is pulled from all four circuits or can the standard "bleed/flushing" routine be followed? If my cleaning the pump seems to fix my "problem" and I just think I have air in the system....I will gladly get the bike to the dealer for a "dealer bleed". That would still be "way better" than the ~$3200 or so I am facing right now.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Getcha a big bucket.. Fill it with brake fluid..assemble the pump in the bucket...:wave

Just kidding. Sort of...

Seriously, I think the BMW computer is what's needed to get the air out of the abs pump...

It probably would be worth it to have the dealer do it...

Good luck on fixing the ABS.. Take lots of pics or even video the procedure.

John

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,107 Posts
If you can get the dealer to give you the full diagnostic readout, that will give you a clue. There are four pressure transducers in there and if one of those is bad no amount of cleaning will fix it. Same for a "brain" failure.

The bleed is easy and you don't need the dealer or his computer to do that. He merely performs the pressure test AFTER he bleeds it. The bleed procedure in the factory manual is pretty straight forward.

There are small mesh screens on the output ports of each wheel circuit (lines going to the calipers) that can be pulled by dissassembling just those ports and not the whole body. May be worth a look.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts