BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what an owner of a 2005 K1200LT with 70k miles says "ABS BRAKE LITE FLASHES MAYBE NEEDS SENSOR CLEANED".

Is this common or should I steer clear??

·
Registered
132 Posts
Could be something simple, but I'd want more information from the owner, like how long has problem existed. First thing I'd ask the owner is how old is the battery? If the voltage isn't sufficient at start up, the ABS self diagnosis doesn't run properly and can cause the ABS lights to flash. Then I'd ask him if the brake fluid reservoirs are full.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
That could be simple fix or not. The flashing is a disgnostic, there are two rates IIRC. Slow flash about one Hz and faster 4 Hz. The most simple one is the brake fluid is low. The most serious one is the ABS unit is bad and that will be lots of money. If the price is right even a bad ABS unit would be worth it.

It might be the simple fix, however when someone says something like, "MAYBE such and such", I would get very concerned because it sounds like the seller knows more than they are saying.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,545 Posts
I would steer clear unless you negotiate it down to 3K below wholesale as that is what it will cost to fix it worst case. Best case is you just need to add fluid or replace a bulb.

·
Registered
231 Posts
TeddyTelco said:
This is what an owner of a 2005 K1200LT with 70k miles says "ABS BRAKE LITE FLASHES MAYBE NEEDS SENSOR CLEANED".

Is this common or should I steer clear??
I don't believe the pickup sensor cleaning would fix the problem. Sensor itself (front or rear) should work regardless of the dirt attached to it, unless it's a metallic grinds of some sort.
There may be a slight possibility that encoder wheel is covered with dirt, but that would have to me metallic too.
As other mentioned, it may be something simple like low fluid, or indicate more serious problem including ABS controller - a very expensive part.
Ask the owner to fix it, or negotiate the price down $3000 to be safe.

·
Registered
609 Posts
It could be a simple fix and the 05 is a great bike. On the other hand, it could be expensive. I had the same issue with my 05. The light would start flashing and I'd lose brake power assist without warning. I'd slow down or stop and then it would be OK for a while. Sometimes for an hour. Sometimes for a couple of days. I replaced the battery, checked the fluid and everything else that was suggested. It went into the shop and they could not find any problem. Same with the second time into the shop. On the third time, the dealer still couldn't find this intermittent problem and suggested the repair could be very expensive. Eventually, I traded the bike without the problem every being fixed. I'd ask for a large reduction in the price or just walk away.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
The real issue here is your safety. When the power assist ABS fails, you have maybe 20 percent brake capacity left. This is an issue that could get you killed. As others suggest, make sure it's fixed, or adjust the price accordingly so it can be.

·
Registered
12 Posts
had my bike at the dealer for service, flashing problem was low on brake fluid thats all

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,545 Posts
bterhune said:
had my bike at the dealer for service, flashing problem was low on brake fluid thats all
That is the usual case for the wig wag on the early bikes. The reservoir sensors are very sensitive to fluid level. On an 05 and up if you get the wig wag you had better be checking pad condition as they are just about worn out when those set off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2003 LT with 78,000 miles had the Flashing ABS Lite. Found rear high pressure hose had a small leak, undetectable to the eye. Replaced hose no more problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts