BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search, and I know this could mean battery problems. My bike is a 2002lt. Anyway, I had my mechanic hook it up to his computer, and it is resting itself, and not showing a fault. It seems to only do this when I first start the bike. My question is why is it not showing what is wrong on the computer? Also my mechanic said it could be low break fluid, and he put some in the rear reservoir. Just open to any suggestions. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
A whole system flush would be a good ideal in general and very well may cure the issue all together ?

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
If it only happens when you first start the bike, that's the self test happening. The tech didn't know that? The bike needs to be ridden a short distance before the flashing turns off. Sorry if I misunderstood your issue, but there's not much to go on other than what you wrote.

HTH,
Jer

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
What Jerry said. The lights flash slowly until you start to move and the self-test completes. They then shut off. If you listen closely you will hear a metallic "ping" or "clunk" when the lights shut off. This is all normal and tells you the ABS is working properly. If you want it to stay normal, flush your system properly at least every two years with DOT4 fluid. Every year is best. DOT4 is cheap. A new ABS unit is two thousand.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
deanwoolsey said:
What Jerry said. The lights flash slowly until you start to move and the self-test completes. They then shut off. If you listen closely you will hear a metallic "ping" or "clunk" when the lights shut off. This is all normal and tells you the ABS is working properly. If you want it to stay normal, flush your system properly at least every two years with DOT4 fluid. Every year is best. DOT4 is cheap. A new ABS unit is two thousand.
This is not the abs check. Mine has the abs light flash, and it goes off after it does the check. This is the alternating flashing of the abs light and the warning light that should throw a code, but it don't, or it clears itself somehow. I rode home from work this morning, and it didn't do it. I rode about 20 miles, and never came on.

Also my mechanic did check the fluid levels in both back reservoirs.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,137 Posts
Add more fluid anyway to both chambers of the rear reservoir. These are known to be so sensitive a slight temp change can put ou over the edge. All faults on the Integral ABS are self clearing and don't leave a code unless it is still in fault.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts