BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just replaced my tires and noticed that the pads are about half worn out.
This explains my intermitted Brake Failure warning.
So I run and get some DOT4 and plan on adding. I get the cap off and see the brown gear oil looking crap in the res.
I have a brain storming idea to flush the system...
I have done this on many, many bikes... Without ABS.
I completely drain the system of every drop of fluid... :D
Then I top off the res. and begin vaccuuming the fluid to the calipers. :confused:
I am not moving anything... :eek:

OK, no big deal, I will push the fluid to the res.
I fill up the pump and start. Watching the res., I am wondering where is all the new fluid going?
Easily, I have pushed half a pint.
I look at the back of the bike and there is a puddle on the floor... WTF?
I guess I have enough back in.
So I top off the res. and bleed the air from the lines.
Take it for the test run.
Ten miles everything is working normal and no more warning lights.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I gotta get a manual.
Cleaning the garage floor sucks.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
hehe....oh.. was that me chuckling? Sorry, was remembering doing something similar..

If you get a manual, just follow the "ABS replacement" process... just don't bother removing the ABS unit. yeah... I know...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Brake Bleeding Prochedures

My manual cautions draining the ABS unit. My manual suggests bleeding the brake system. You may have introduced air into the ABS unit by draining it first. On the 2000 I would have to bleed the ABS unit first then go back to a full bleed job. Different years have different procedures. Some require a reset of the Brain box and maybe by the dealer. Good Luck

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,257 Posts
Mike,

I don't know what year you have but if it is 2001 or up there are two separate circuits that are not connected, wheel and control. The handle bar reservoir is NOT connected to the calipers. The reservoir for the wheel circuits is back behind the right saddle bag (or on the ABS unit 05 and up).
Check out this article:

Mark’s Brake Article

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an '02.

All is well.
If you push fluid from the calipers up through the brake system, you will almost always push the air out of the system.
In my case, I pushed it out of the overflow tube and onto the ground. :histerica

Try it...
Warning: I can be messy.
I should not have to do this again for at least another 40K miles.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I guess that will have to be my next "project." I've got new tires, fresh oil in the gearbox and rear drive, checked the valve clearance, and got a new state inspection yesterday. As soon as I get a spark plug socket, I've got new plugs to go in. (Someone "liberated" my socket wrench set.)

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
11. There are three brake fluid reservoirs in the system:

a. Front control circuit – hand lever master cylinder reservoir
b. Front wheel circuit – rear half of rear 2-chamber reservoir
c. Rear control circuit and rear wheel circuit – sharing front half of rear 2-chamber reservoir
a. Front control circuit – Reservoir got new fluid, however the fliud in the line is still old.
b. Front wheel circuit - Has completely all new fluid. I sucked that entire circuit out. Then I pushed new fluid back in from the calipers.
c. Rear control circuit and rear wheel circuit – rear control circuit did not get touched at all.

I won't deal with the brakes again until I get the tools to bleed the Integral pump.
Then I will swap out the fluid for the front and rear again...

At least I have some peice of mind knowing that most of the dirty fliud is out of the system.
It's all a good learning experience.
I don't have a BWM dealer closer than two hours from me.
I am to cheap to take the bike to the shop.
As long as there are forums like this one with good folks like you all, who are ready to give great advice, None of us should need a dealer...
Well except to buy replacemnet bikes.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
MikeERideWNC said:
I won't deal with the brakes again until I get the tools to bleed the Integral pump. Then I will swap out the fluid for the front and rear again...
Come to CCR and watch a demo by the Flush Brothers!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That won't be happening...

I don't like Misery when I have to go there for work.
There is no way that I would go there for vacation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts