BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who haven't read the earlier thread, I've been wanting to diagnose and cure my own ABS faults.

Popular belief on this site is that persistant alternating warning lights on ABS 2 (99/2000 models) can only be diagnosed and reset by a dealer.

I have just read my fault codes by connecting an analogue meter between the brown/blue wire on pin two of the diagnostic connector and earth.

When the ignition switch is turned on the meter shows an initial voltage of around 10 volts. Within a second or two the voltage begins to drop in a series of pulses. Count the pulses and you have your fault code.

This has been reported on other forums as being accurate. I have no reason to disbelieve.

The proof of the pudding will be when I go for the reset using pin 21 as described in my earlier thread, however I am optimistic as the diagnostic process seems to operate as described by others.

It may be some time before I do the reset as I need to check all sensors and flush the system. Then I've got to expose pin 21 so I can use it. Too cold to work in my garage at the moment.

Chris

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh ye of little faith.

Earlier post "battery in tip top condition". You are not necessarily measuring full battery voltage at the diagnostic test point.

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
When you have sorted and confirmed I could really do with the info you are putting together. My ABS is flashing away and could be fine once reset for all I know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts