BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a bushtec trailer hitch and the ball is not centered in the middle of the tire. That is to say it is a little ( about 3/4 inch) more to the left. My question is this normal or should i space it out a little at the mounting point? :confused:

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Steve
There should be spacers behind the hitch at the front three mounting bolts, are there?

·
8,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SilverBuffalo said:
Steve
There should be spacers behind the hitch at the front three mounting bolts, are there?
yes there is 3 two short about 1/2 inch and 1 longer about 1 1/2 inch I even put a few washers in to get it over to where it now without the washers it was way to the left.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Steve
Something doesn't sound right, I have the same short spacers (no washers) and the hitch is centered behind the rear tire, did you get the "triangular mounting plate? how do the rear crossbars line up?
Is it possible that the bar itself is bent? doesn't sound likely.
I have called and spoken with John Preston (ceo of Bushtec) personally a couple of times, he's a very knowledgeable and helpfull guy who didn't mind talking (at length) with me regarding his product, there's also the Bushtec forum.

·
8,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SilverBuffalo said:
Steve
Something doesn't sound right, I have the same short spacers (no washers) and the hitch is centered behind the rear tire, did you get the "triangular mounting plate? how do the rear crossbars line up?
Is it possible that the bar itself is bent? doesn't sound likely.
I have called and spoken with John Preston (ceo of Bushtec) personally a couple of times, he's a very knowledgeable and helpfull guy who didn't mind talking (at length) with me regarding his product, there's also the Bushtec forum.
Hans I've already spoken with Bushtec and they told me what I was doing wrong. Sense i did not have any instructions with this hitch I thought i might be installing it wrong(and i was :p ) John said sometime you "DO" have to use extra washers and I did need them. It is still not centered perfectly but darn close. Thanks for your help kind sir and hope to see you and Pat at CCR

1 - 5 of 5 Posts