BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
I’m 67 and just did a 9000 mile 22 day ride this summer on my 2005 LT.
I used to ride with original seat plus air hawk seat cushion. Ok but monkey butt after 4-5 hours max.
I had my seat customized by Bill Mayer at a MIA rally about 5 years ago.
OMG the difference! Had a 14 hour day to start the ride, about 850 miles. Butt was fine. Mind was gone. But Butt was fine. Best $1000 I ever spent.
Have had the R1150/06K1200/08K1200 and have approximately combined 125 thousand miles. Longest one day ride was 975 miles with the 08K1200. Thought about adding another 25 miles but the next motel would have been about 100 miles more so good sense popped up and I lost bragging rights for a semi iron butt trophy. Not one of the 3 bikes required me to look for a seating alternative other than a back rest. At 76 years old and having lost my riding partner I'm looking for someone in the Phoenix or Las Vegas area who is up for a long ride of approximately 8 -10 thousand miles this coming June.
Destination not important so long as their is a curiosity of not just riding but a good amount of time sightseeing. Must be back home (Lake Havasu) no later than 7/5/23. 50/50 share on rooms and board and no camping.

· Registered
3 Posts
i'm French Canadian and not very bilingual ..so..please be gentle..question for you.. i'm planning a trip 8,000 km (5,000 mi) in 14 days next summer with my son ( FJR1300) , with my K1200LT 2002 (140K km.) ..I'm 69 yo and 250 lbs...So i think my bck will be ok but my ass will improve it ..I'm looking for a complement to my front seat ..you have a suggestion ? So if you think that ill've to change my K1200 for a wheelchair you're ..can't find exact word ..
There is something I always do before I go on a long ride, one month before I ride I will use my pedal bike and do at least 3 miles a day I'm 62, and I still have the same seat on my LT it has 71,000 miles on it if I do that training before the ride, the difference between a bicycle seat and a motorcycle seat is uncomparable.

· Registered
2022 R1250RT & 2005 KLR650
189 Posts
There is something I always do before I go on a long ride, one month before I ride I will use my pedal bike and do at least 3 miles a day I'm 62, and I still have the same seat on my LT it has 71,000 miles on it if I do that training before the ride, the difference between a bicycle seat and a motorcycle seat is uncomparable.
That's a novel approach: Torture your rear for a month and then the stock seat seems like a La-Z-Boy by comparison. If it works, it works.

· Registered
53 Posts
Bonjour,
I have a Corbin seat that is too wide for me and that I am willing to part with. I relocated the Corbin backrest on my original seat. You can have the seat without the backrest for shipping only or you can trade the seat and backrest for one of those backrests that was proposed above. Seat can be picked up in Sherbrooke QC in March as I am leaving this week with bike in tow for Florida for 6 weeks. Send me a Private Message (PM) on this forum for more info by clicking on the message icon that shows up when you click on my avatar next to this message..

· IBR# 366
12,225 Posts
My last "long" ride was 9,000 miles in 12 days, including "short" first and last days of around 400-500 miles, and one full day off for new tires and general bike maintenance. Oh, and a thousand-odd miles of gravel in the middle. :D

As others have said, a custom seat built to your needs is the best solution for multiple long days in the saddle. These can be pricey, but they do work very well.

A seat cover is the next best—Airhawk, gel pad, sheepskin, BeadRider, etc. These allow you to swap out between using one and using nothing at each gas stop, which can help to change things up. However, with a properly fitted custom seat, you don't need to put anything on top of it. ;)

A good backrest can also be quite comfortable for extended day rides, and helps you to retain good posture which keeps the back happy.

But one thing often overlooked is what you wear between you and the seat.

Jeans or work pants are good for everyday wear, but just don't cut it for long rides. Besides having seams that you sit on which cause irritation, they can retain moisture (either sweat or rain) which is bad for your skin. And they offer no padding or abrasion resistance, so even a very low-speed slide will result in some serious damage to your legs.

Personally, I like the Aerostitch AD1 Pants, which are waterproof, breathable, comfortable, and have no seams to sit on. Under that goes LDComfort Undergarments, which are also breathable, comfortable, devoid of seams to sit on, and actively wick moisture away from your skin to avoid sweating, rashes, and irritation. I've tried many other brands of under- and over-pants in the past, and none of them have worked as well as my Aerostitch and LDComfort gear.

A good seat can really add to your long-distance comfort, but what goes between you and the seat matters just as much.

· Premium Member
903 Posts
Whoa....tell us about your full pillar enclosure there....straight outta Tron!!
(actually a good thing)
Ahhh... the Corbin Smuggler® trunk. I love it! I bought it used from someone in the Classifieds here back in 2017.
Corbin does not sell them anymore, though they are out there... I saw another one for sale last year. I would google it!

Automotive parking light Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive side-view mirror

I love it! Since my wife doesn't ride anymore and I like to travel it works great for me! I can carry a lot of stuff in it and it appears more aerodynamic than the standard box. I also like the built in backrest.

Automotive lighting Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior Fender

I think it weighs about the same as the rear box. When you remove the rear box and pillion seat this bolts right in their place with the same attachment points.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

The backrest works great, though it only came with velcro so I added a cable attachment, too for extra security!

Brown Luggage and bags Bag Wood Hood

There is plenty of room to put stuff including the rear 'corners' for storage of smaller items.

Plant Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle

I love the Corbin Smuggler® trunk!
When I am not using it, i have a rear rack and backrest as pictured below.
(I bought a spare rear seat and removed the back of it so it sits flat to blend in with the rack for carrying a large bag, a spare set of tires, or whatever is necessary.)

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire

· Registered
595 Posts
Backrest is always a good idea but since I ride a GSA I've found a rather large soft duffel bag filled with soft clothing on the back seat serves me much better than a hard backrest. It is somewhat flexible to adjust my body position on the go unlike the stiff backrest I've had on my 2021 Goldwing I used to have.

Plus I also like the BeadRider and used it for many years on many different bikes. Nowadays I am using a similar product but it is made out of some kind of a strong but flexible material woven in mesh design. Same concept as BeadRider. So far I like this one too... Air flow under my butt keeps it cool there and no monkey butt problem even after 8-10 hr rides on a single day.

Also give us your route and days who knows we may come across somewhere on the roads since most of us riding around in Summer!
Good luck and be safe!

· Registered
1,385 Posts
I have a Champagne smuggler for sale if anyone is interested. I also have the rack system that allows you to move your top box forward and allow for a Ft Worth rack behind it. I will be off grid for a couple of weeks but feel free to email me at Jeffklt at yahoo dot com if interested.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts