BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm French Canadian and not very bilingual ..so..please be gentle..question for you.. i'm planning a trip 8,000 km (5,000 mi) in 14 days next summer with my son ( FJR1300) , with my K1200LT 2002 (140K km.) ..I'm 69 yo and 250 lbs...So i think my bck will be ok but my ass will improve it ..I'm looking for a complement to my front seat ..you have a suggestion ? So if you think that ill've to change my K1200 for a wheelchair you're ..can't find exact word ..

· Registered
1,510 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Your English is just fine although I was tempted to give your front seat a compliment. Jokes aside. If you decide to try a wider seat, just remember that a wider seat can make it harder to get your feet on the ground. A sheep skin cover might be a cheaper and easier option.

· Premium Member
268 Posts
I found that the BeadRider helped with my riding longevity! Doesn't work well with the seat heating but it does help keep your butt cool in summer heat. Click here

· Registered
240 Posts
I have a Corbin seat for the LT if you are interested. It is an aftermarket seat that is wider and spreads your body weight out over a larger area. It is a bolt on seat replacement to your stock seat. 5 bolts and you are done. It is even heated. I will take $225 plus shipping for it. I will try to get some pics added to this post for you later on, right now I am at work.
Send me a private message if you are interested.

· Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,397 Posts
Before I got my custom seat I used a beaded seat and a sheep skin. Trick is to alternate at each gas stop ride stock then with beads then with sheep skin. It really helps to mix it up.

· Registered
2022 R1250RT & 2005 KLR650
206 Posts
+1 on the beaded seat, especially if the temps are high. nothing more fatiguing to me than a sweaty derriere. <- That is the extent of my French. Best of luck with the ride, let us know how it turns out.

· Registered
62 Posts

· Registered
62 Posts
i'm French Canadian and not very bilingual ..so..please be gentle..question for you.. i'm planning a trip 8,000 km (5,000 mi) in 14 days next summer with my son ( FJR1300) , with my K1200LT 2002 (140K km.) ..I'm 69 yo and 250 lbs...So i think my bck will be ok but my ass will improve it ..I'm looking for a complement to my front seat ..you have a suggestion ? So if you think that ill've to change my K1200 for a wheelchair you're ..can't find exact word ..
You have a long ride ahead. Whatever solution you choose, I'd suggest a test run of a couple of days beforehand just to be sure what you're trying is going to work.

· Registered
10 Posts
I’m 67 and just did a 9000 mile 22 day ride this summer on my 2005 LT.
I used to ride with original seat plus air hawk seat cushion. Ok but monkey butt after 4-5 hours max.
I had my seat customized by Bill Mayer at a MIA rally about 5 years ago.
OMG the difference! Had a 14 hour day to start the ride, about 850 miles. Butt was fine. Mind was gone. But Butt was fine. Best $1000 I ever spent.

· Registered
236 Posts
There are many good alternatives. My BMW R1200RT stock seat was unbearable after two hours. So, I invested in a Russell Day Long saddle. Many other quality brands such as Corbin, Sergeant, etc. are available. You’d certainly benefit from one of these if you also plan subsequent long rides. If you don’t, then airhawk seat cushions, beaded pads, sheepskins, etc. may provide you with a less expensive alternative. Ultimately, a premium saddle is the best long term investment in my opinion. I will enjoy mine this June on my San Antonio, Texas to Jasper National Park, Alberta with my son. If you decide to buy a new saddle, it’s strongly recommended you get after that quickly as turnaround times can be three months. Good luck.

· Registered
3 Posts
I bought my 2005 FJR 1300 new in Minn.and road 2300 miles to sacramento Ca. It now has 70,000 plus miles The FJR is a great bike but not good for long distance rides,.wrist burn, uncomfortable seat and riding position. I bought a 2018 BMW 1600 Grand America last year and have put 9;000 miles on it in 7 months. I am have been riding since 15 years old , I am 80 years of age and still own my 05 FJR ,Yamaha , 1985 V-Max and my BMW. The BMW is the best ride that I have ever been on,. Kenneth W Lorenz

· Registered
1 Posts
Airhawk should do it.

· Registered
359 Posts
Bonjour aux Quebecois, Je suis francais expatrie aux USA depuis des annees, votre anglais est tres comprehensible. I have been ridding and owned many bikes and the LT is the most comfortable bike I ever had so you picked the right bike for your trip. I owned an 1999 LT for 8 years until it got totaled few years ago. I am now ridding a 2018 Honda Goldwing which is a fantastic bike but it does not compared to the LT in term of comfort and wind protection. None of the other comparable touring bikes I rode does either (K1600LT, Grand America, etc ....). For me the LT stock seat was good for 3 to 4 hours rides before my back and butt start hurting. Adding a back rest helped a little bit. When I go on long trips I stop and rest for 15/20mns every 2 to 3 hours anyway. My suggestion before going on such a long trip would be to do some several hours test rides and see how you handle it. I would also make sure that your 2002 LT is ready for that long trip. I would replace the oil, check and possibly replace the coolant, inspect the brakes and brake lines, etc.... Je vous souhaite un super voyage avec votre fils

· Registered
8 Posts
Hi, I have a gel seat cushion that I don't use, hardly used. I'll gladly ship it to you, n/c Send your address. Don in W MT [email protected]

· Registered
16 Posts
I searched far and wide and landed on this one below for my seat. Easy to install and remove and inexpensive. My longest single day was 1100 miles for the Iron Butt Challenge and it saved my ass ;-) I generally use it for any rides >300 miles in a single day

As for the backrest I bought the Sargent backrest for my R1200 RT and modified it to work with my stock seat. There was a post on this forum that I used to modify/drill out holes in the stock seat pan and it works great. You have to look for the appropriate back rest that fits your vehicle. I highly recommend that for long trips makes a huge difference for multiple days of riding.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts