BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 LT and have an intermittent buzz in the left footpeg. It is most prominent on the highway at highway speeds. It doesn't do it all the time, of course, and I really can't seem to find any way to "make" it happen. More often than not, it is when I am under slight acceleration, but it has happened during throttle closed ops too.

I had to replace my shift linkage, but as I recall, it was doing it before that. I have rechecked the security of my left footpeg mounts, and all seems to be well. No other noticeable vibration anywhere else in the bike.

It seems to be worse after those boneheads at Leo's South in MSP changed the transmission oil with 75W140 (even though I specifically asked for 75W90, TWICE!!!!). But to be honest with you, I'm not sure it really is worse, and not my mind playing tricks on me because I'm steamed at substandard service from a dealer that charged me $135.00 and gave me the fluids THEY wanted, not what I asked for. But I digress.

It is not a problem for me, the vibration isn't so bad that my foot is falling asleep or anything like that, just making sure this isn't a foreboding sign.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Check the exhaust

When I put on my remus exhaust the left peg bolt is touching the exhaust. I can feel it buzz when giving throttle and letting off the throttle. I would double check to make sure some part of the peg is not touching the exhaust.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
motorman587 said:
When I put on my remus exhaust the left peg bolt is touching the exhaust. I can feel it buzz when giving throttle and letting off the throttle. I would double check to make sure some part of the peg is not touching the exhaust.
John!!!! You may have hit the nail right on the head! I forgot to mention that I have installed a Remus exhaust on my bike, and I do believe that this buzz had started after that time. So, I'll check my exhaust mounts for interference.

This is exactly why I like this forum.

Happy New Year.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Your welcome.

Mine is still touching. I need to hammer in a little hole for the peg bolt not to touch, but just have not done it. Let us know if that was the problem.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Isn't that bolt kinda rounded on the end??? Couldn't you just remove the bolt, grind it down a bit, run a die over it to clean up the threads? Seems easier than removing the entire exhaust. Just a thought.

Hey...I'm tryin' to be constructive :D

·
Registered
13,451 Posts

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
grifscoots said:
You don't have to remove the entire exhaust, read header, just the muffler and then slip the pipe off. You have to ding it purdy good and I don't think you could take enough material off the bolt head and still retain it's structural strength.

When I first started looking at a fix I tried to shim the foot plate out with washers. That was great for a good laugh and looked stupid.
And your point is?? :p :rotf:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts