BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
It would be really interesting to know how much money he's got into that. Sure looked like an old Triumph to me. I like it.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,796 Posts
Jim said:
Nice build but the open primary kills it for me.
Yup +1. If you thought getting your pants cuff caught in your bicycle chain was bad... imagine.

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
snip>> Nice build but the open primary kills it for me.<<

The first time I road a motorcycle to Alaska was 1987. The Alaskan Hwy was ... as I remember around 1/3 gravel. It was paved , then there were spots what were a hundred miles of gravel . I think the longest gravel was just short of 200 miles.

Anyway,... there were 3 guys we ran into on the road going up there that were on some old Harley's... & one of them was running an open primary. We would see them stoped , or they would go by when we were stoped. The last time I saw them was in Valdez AK. With that open primary I thought we would see them broke down some were up there , but they never did.... that I know of...

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
And some people complain about the seat on the LT! :histerica

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Patric said:
Anyway,... there were 3 guys we ran into on the road going up there that were on some old Harley's... & one of them was running an open primary. We would see them stoped , or they would go by when we were stoped. The last time I saw them was in Valdez AK. With that open primary I thought we would see them broke down some were up there , but they never did.... that I know of...
about the only advantage an open primary has is being able to swap out the primary belt in a short amount of time,
a big washer to hold the clutch spring assembly together and you can have the clutch hub of and back on in ten to fifteen minutes.

if they were running an open belt in gravel, my bet is they would have replaced several belts,

now if they were running a primary chain they would have used "a bit" of oil,
assuming they actually "oiled" the chain occasionally.
and required a several "adjustments" daily!

Regardless of "either option" by the time that bike got home (assuming it did):rolleyes:
all of the clutch plates, bearings, the clutch hub and possibly even some of the transmission main shaft would have been junk.

I do like the concept of the Thriumph/HD bike, for someone that wants an HD that stands apart
but the truth is all that bike would ever see is the tail light of a Bonneville.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts