BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after a tortuous path, my Canyon Red LT finally arrived today . . . . . of course it was raining but what's another day at this point :)

Have a question about the radio. The plastic faceplate (where I assume the station or other information shows up) appears totally clouded - nothing appears in it. Since I hope this is not normal, can anyone tell me what this might indicate; i.e., simple repair or major problem?

There was no supplemental audio manual so I am not really sure about what any of the controls do yet . . . so any tips on that would be appreciated as well.

The bike is a 2000 LT-C and has the cassette in the glove compartment and the 6-CD changer in the side bag.

I have a photo of the radio unit . . . . still trying to figure out inserting it into this message.

Thanks in advance

Andy

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Andy-SC said:
Well, after a tortuous path, my Canyon Red LT finally arrived today . . . . . of course it was raining but what's another day at this point :)

Have a question about the radio. The plastic faceplate (where I assume the station or other information shows up) appears totally clouded - nothing appears in it. Since I hope this is not normal, can anyone tell me what this might indicate; i.e., simple repair or major problem?

There was no supplemental audio manual so I am not really sure about what any of the controls do yet . . . so any tips on that would be appreciated as well.

The bike is a 2000 LT-C and has the cassette in the glove compartment and the 6-CD changer in the side bag.

I have a photo of the radio unit . . . . still trying to figure out inserting it into this message.

Thanks in advance

Andy
Andy that is usually just build up from washing the bike. My did the same thing. I used " softscrub" on it BUT be very careful. There are other ways to get it off and I'm sure someone else will chime in

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
Same condx on my '00 when I bought it in August.
A light swipe with denatured alcohol will bring it back! You can get it at any good hardware store or even K-Mart.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
wipe it with denatured alcohol, then get a strip of clear packing tape and put it over the lens and cut it to fit, small xacto knife will do, and you wont have a problem again

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
If you run out of denatured alcohol, try Vodka.
Don't ask me how I know...!:rolleyes:

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
the alcohol solution is the best one...

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
zippy_gg said:
If you run out of denatured alcohol, try Vodka.
Don't ask me how I know...!:rolleyes:
Accidents do happen. Just be thankful no one called "party foul" on you. :rotf:

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
Not sure if the denatured alkie will react with the tupperware, so I masked the view window before the wipe!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Polarized glasses

Back during the summer I got on my bike and thought I had the dreaded "blank radio display". It took me a little while to figure out that it was only due to my new sunglasses being polarized.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WOW . . . . . This forum is amazing!

Let's see . . . . . I posted the message about the radio display on my "new" LT-C at 0951 and within 15 . . . . yes that was FIFTEEN minutes, the answer was provided!

I've been riding for more years than I care to count and have been a member of forums for other bikes I've owned but this forum has amazed me since I first was pointed in its direction by a friend that has an '03 LT in Dallas. He said the info and support was 1st rate but again, all I can say is THANKS!

Picked up some denatured alcohol and with a Q-tip, rubbed across the clouded screen (which you could not see through at all). Well, in less then a minute the clouding was gone and the radio screen was crystal clear. :)

Thanks for a super fast response and a simple fix . . . . . anyone need an almost full can of denatured alcohol? :eek:

Andy

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Andy-SC said:
Let's see . . . . . I posted the message about the radio display on my "new" LT-C at 0951 and within 15 . . . . yes that was FIFTEEN minutes, the answer was provided!

I've been riding for more years than I care to count and have been a member of forums for other bikes I've owned but this forum has amazed me since I first was pointed in its direction by a friend that has an '03 LT in Dallas. He said the info and support was 1st rate but again, all I can say is THANKS!

Picked up some denatured alcohol and with a Q-tip, rubbed across the clouded screen (which you could not see through at all). Well, in less then a minute the clouding was gone and the radio screen was crystal clear. :)

Thanks for a super fast response and a simple fix . . . . . anyone need an almost full can of denatured alcohol? :eek:

Andy
For future reference (you don't need to lissen, Andy - cuz you got a 10 year supply!!!! :histerica ), if you need a small amount of de-natured alcohol, try sweet talking your local pharmicist into a tiny bottle of it. Here in Boerne, even the Wallyworld dood helped me out by partially filling a prescription bottle with just enough stuff for me to do ole Toad's radio display - and at no charge, after I pleaded my case and described what I needed it for. Apparently they have some behind-the-counter use for it at times and he had an opened container to share with me. About a tablespoon amount, and I still have a smidgen left in the bottle!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts