BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Wethead/SC RT is the quintessential balanced Sport Tourer fully capable on any kind of pavement from twisties to interstate and everything in between--the truly perfect all-arounder. Very hard to meet that goal and this configuration does it better than anything else...still....

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Font Motorcycle

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I little odd that they don't mention some of the radio and TFT issues that are easily discovered.
Great bike to be sure. Great journalism, no so much.

·
Registered
463 Posts
MCN have form for being in bed with BMW. When there were issues with leaking callipers, still issue with corrosion, exhaust flaps, many many readers wrote to MCN, they never once mentioned any of it. But as long as you realise they are not the most independent paper around, then its expected. Saying that, there is a review of the GS in another UK mag called Ride, again there are many inaccuracies in the article, makes you wonder if the journalists actually know what they are talking about :)

·
Registered
463 Posts
What a joke. Rivals.....GS & Indian. What about the K1600 & Goldwing ? I have had both the K & the RT. I’ll stick with the K for now.
Maybe they were talking about bikes you can buy. The K is out of production at the moment. I had a new K1600 as a loaner for 6 weeks earlier in the year. Nice bike, but too heavy by far. Ok if you want to ride for 1000s of miles, but for an all rounder, the RT wins easily, unless your a giant of course. Have also ridden the Goldwing, nice as well, but luggage capacity is a joke.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's no surprise to me they chose the RT over the K16. Other publications have also voiced their preference for the more agile RT. The K16 is a great bike, but it's so heavy, and it is not as all around capable or versatile as the RT.

The RT could be my only bike. I could not have ever said that when I owned K16's. My '21 RT has completely changed my opinion of my prior RT experiences. I really liked my earlier RT's but the '21 was a game changer for me.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think the K16 was named Bike of the Year back in 2012, I believe that is what persuaded me to get one. I ended up with 3 in total the last one being a 2017 bike.

All in all I enjoyed owning them, however it has to be said that they have been the only motorcycle that (in over 50 years of riding) that have let me down. Two our of the three bikes overheated on numerous occasions when touring Europe.

In 2019 I decided to go back to the RT and was astonished at how it had changed over the seven years that I was on the K16. I compared side by side photos of my 2010 RT and my 2019 RT and am convinced that every nut and bolt has been changed.

The K16 on the other hand has not been developed and I fear it is on its last legs, I doubt BMW will continue with them, sad in a way as choice is always good.

·
Registered
2021 R1250RT LE
46 Posts
I had two K1600GT's over an eight year period. Unlike David's experience they never let me down, however when the shift cam 1250 engine came out on the RT, the power to weight ratio was almost identical between the two bikes. So moving over to the lighter RT was a really easy decision to make. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I think the K16 was named Bike of the Year back in 2012, I believe that is what persuaded me to get one. I ended up with 3 in total the last one being a 2017 bike.

All in all I enjoyed owning them, however it has to be said that they have been the only motorcycle that (in over 50 years of riding) that have let me down. Two our of the three bikes overheated on numerous occasions when touring Europe.

In 2019 I decided to go back to the RT and was astonished at how it had changed over the seven years that I was on the K16. I compared side by side photos of my 2010 RT and my 2019 RT and am convinced that every nut and bolt has been changed.

The K16 on the other hand has not been developed and I fear it is on its last legs, I doubt BMW will continue with them, sad in a way as choice is always good.
I never knew there was an overheating issue. A little surprised that can happen. That’s an early development issue.

I like the K16’s, just too big for me. I’m probably doing a Wing if I went the huge route.

·
Registered
372 Posts

I believe your wrong about the K1600 being dropped. Looks like the updated K1600 will shown on Oct 27.

·
Registered
2021 BMW R 1250 RT, 2020 BMW R 1250 GSA, 2014 HD FLHTK, 2005 Honda Goldwing
15 Posts
Not sure if it's the best, considering it's, price but it's definitely one of the best. Traded the 2012 K1600 GTL for the RT in June of this year and have not looked back. Miss the sweet whine of that smooth 6 Cylinder at times but not the exorbitant tire and maintenance bills. Less weight makes for better riding dynamics. Handling is on par or better than the K1600. Long distance comfort is very close or equal.

·
Premium Member
7,850 Posts
I never knew there was an overheating issue. A little surprised that can happen. That’s an early development issue.

I like the K16’s, just too big for me. I’m probably doing a Wing if I went the huge route.
Not an early development issue at all. I also had overheating issues on both K1600GTLs I rented to tour Europe (2013 model) and the UK (2017 model). They don’t like being ridden uphill at less than about 40 MPH. My LT warms up, but never gets the warning light as I did on both K1600s. My brother-in-law rented an R1200RT and was riding with me and the RT had no overheating issue at all in exactly the same conditions.

I am considering trading in my 14 year old LT for something newer, but really don’t like most of the new bikes. However, the RT is probably the best of what is available. Just trying to decide how to make it more comfortable for my wife. RDL seat for sure, but need to look at backrests, larger windshields, etc.

Reactions: BoulderGT3

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
378 Posts
However, the RT is probably the best of what is available
I am a mad RT fan, but then I am a Honda MC fan second, so in that light, the new Africa Twin based tourer is about to be released. Google NT1100. Can be had with DCT. Now THAT would make me think twice if I was after a new bike. Still love my '21 RT though.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Not an early development issue at all. I also had overheating issues on both K1600GTLs I rented to tour Europe (2013 model) and the UK (2017 model). They don’t like being ridden uphill at less than about 40 MPH. My LT warms up, but never gets the warning light as I did on both K1600s. My brother-in-law rented an R1200RT and was riding with me and the RT had no overheating issue at all in exactly the same conditions.

I am considering trading in my 14 year old LT for something newer, but really don’t like most of the new bikes. However, the RT is probably the best of what is available. Just trying to decide how to make it more comfortable for my wife. RDL seat for sure, but need to look at backrests, larger windshields, etc.
I read something on Jalopnik today that BMW announced an entirely new 1600 line. I wonder if some of these fundamentals will be sorted.

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
378 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts