BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My left front brake line is leaking (onto my garage floor) where the linkage between the brake line to the caliper meets the line that routes over to the right caliper. (see attached picture) This is a 2003 with ABS.

Question 1: I could not locate in the Clymer's manual where the brake lines are even shown or detailed. Am I missing something?

Question 2: If I purchase the Spiegler S-BM0168 brake line kit, will it replace the part(s) necessary to make this problem go away? (And does that kit include all the lines for the bike?) It appears there are a couple of solid lines running to the right caliper that (maybe?) need to be replaced separately.

Thanks, gents.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
When I bought my speiglers everything I needed came as a package. Should be no reason to replace the solid lines unless they've been damaged some how. Easy kit to install. Just make sure you tighten the crush washers properly and check them once in a while - shortly after installation. I had one leak from not having it tight enough.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
The leak is likely coming from where the rubber meets the ferrule. Although I also had one leak underneath the outer, rubber sheathing.

Speigler will only sell a complete kit. BMW will sell individual OEM (rubber) lines separately and you have to make sure to buy the washers too. If you really only want to replace just one, BMW OEM is less expensive but not a braided stainless steel. Two years ago I replaced the right front line and it was $118 from BMW. I just did a rear line and it was $54. I'm approaching the price of a complete kit of Speiglers.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Buy the Spieglers. Replace them all and don't look back. You will be happy.

Robert

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, folks. After reading enough past threads about brake lines, ordering a complete kit seemed to make the most sense. Lots of good info and advice, this forum has!

Hopefully the installation next weekend will go smoothly.

FYI, I ordered them from Sportbike Track Gear. Less expensive and they don't charge extra for different colors. Never used them before, so we'll see.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
You might have to turn the ends of the hose a little to fit your bike on 1 or 2 hoses. I think I had to do 1 but that was 6 or 7 years ago & my memory is not as good. The kit come with 2 white hard plastic looking blocks & instructions on how to do it. Where the hose from the rear master cylinder connects to junction block the block is not attached firmly to anything so you will need to hold it with a (I Think) a 17 mm open end wrench as to not twist it. Also on the rear just remove the top shock bolt & let the rear end drop down & you will have enough room to get to that block.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts