BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I stopped by the Honda store this morning to buy a pai of Gerbing pants, and siiting there was a 2003 LT with 5000 mile on it that some one had traded in for a goldwing :(

After getting into the Gerbings (not the gerbils) I went to sit on a bike to see how they felt and sat down on a Goldwing (for the first time). Now mind you this LT is the only bike I have ever had, but the Gold wind felt tiny. It felt more like I was sitting on it as opposed to the feeling of sitting in it, which is how the LT feels to me.

At any rate, Gerbings rule!

·
Registered
368 Posts
That was the main deciding factor in my decision to buy an LT over GW. At 6'4" I felt like I was too big for the GW. I even read an article last month that stated that the GW was better for riders less than 6' tall.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
hmmmm ... i've enjoyed many happy miles on about four different GLs. all were great, comfortable bikes (i'm 6' 1").

here are the factors that led me to choose an LT over a wing:

1) superior handling and brakes
2) more comfortable passenger seat for my wife (no small consideration!)
3) better integration of electronics, including GPS and heated seat/grips.

what sealed the deal for me is reports of frame failures in the new wing.

comfort wise, if it were up to me, i think i would have opted for the wing.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hey Richard,

There may be hope for him yet...maybe they had a used R1200GS that he couldn't live without. Or if it was a Honda, could have been an ST1300, or a 1000RR, or maybe a Blackbird off the used lot. Of course it's possible that he just developed an airbag fetish and is hoping for a retrofit kit.

I often find myself avoiding the Suzuki/Aprilia store up the street. Sometimes a Hayabusa w/ extended windshield, lowered pegs, and bar backs looks mighty good. Then I would just have to add a stereo, intercom, Garmin, and .... crap, the farkling syndrome never ends!

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Could've been one of those unfortunates that was plagued with too many issues and threw in the towel. Other than that, and I have looked at them (GW's) closely and, well, and not to be snobbish, they just made me feel a lot older than my almost 65 years. And what's with all of those switches????

A friend of mine once said that the Germans build switches that handle a multitude of functions while the Japanese use a switch for every function. Seems so on the GW.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Figured the reply not meant for me since I don't understand it . . . but, anyway, I love the GS, S, and LT. What the heck!

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Shogun54 said:
Sometimes a Hayabusa w/ extended windshield, lowered pegs, and bar backs looks mighty good. Then I would just have to add a stereo, intercom, Garmin, and .... crap, the farkling syndrome never ends!
hey brett ... do you know anyone who makes peg lowering kits for the hayabusa? i already know who makes higher bars. inquiring minds ...

thx in advance.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Check out www.hayabusa.org. There seem to be several sets available from different mfgrs. Their site also will make you appreciate this one more.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Indeed. the GW reminds me of my grandfather's Oldsmobile while the LT reminds of my Uncle's Jag :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts