BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The argument goes round and round, yet no one denies that taking a handgun on the open road may be a good friend "IF" the time comes.
On my summer trip, my riding friend insisted that I consider taking my 38 special. I did and on some occassions saw applications particularly in back roads where my little friend might come in handy.

Some questions to you "seasoned riders"...

Do you carry a piece when on a trip?
What are the laws when going from state to state?
Do you openly declare it when stopped by or assisted in and emergency by law authorities?
How about travelling when you cross the borders to other countries (i.e. US to Canada)?

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have heard that carrying a gun loaded will cause more problems than an unloaded gun. I don't know if carrying one will cause you a problem if they find you have one-it would likely depend on the state you are in. Personally I have a gun but don't carry it when I ride on the bike. I have never felt the need to.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I went a few rounds (no pun intended) with this subject before heading out west on my 6-7K mile trip before CCR. My final conclusion was...it's simply not worth the hassle and the consequences if all your ducks aren't in a row. I did go into Canada unexpectedly while in Seattle. I could just see what would've happened had they searched my bike and found a gun. (And they ALMOST did!) That would've been a mess!

My advise? . . . leave it at home.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
First of all no one should be carrying a handgun without the proper training and permitting. If you possessed that training and permitting, you would not be asking this question.

That aside, concealed weapon permits (CWP) are governed by individual state laws. These laws vary from State to State. Some States honor other States CWPs (reciprocity), some don't. In some States you do not need a permit under certain circumstances, in others you can't get a permit.

In general you should not have a weapon on you or the bike without a CWP. If you obtain a CWP, obtain knowledge about the laws, and stay proficient.

I have CWPs from quite a few States, and with reciprocity I am covered in around 27 of them. Don't go into Canada or Mexico, Federal buildings, or courthouses, police stations or airports with your weapon.

PS: Individuals in possession of an operable firearm in a national park are subject to arrest.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
tscholl said:
The argument goes round and round, yet no one denies that taking a handgun on the open road may be a good friend "IF" the time comes.
On my summer trip, my riding friend insisted that I consider taking my 38 special. I did and on some occassions saw applications particularly in back roads where my little friend might come in handy.

Some questions to you "seasoned riders"...

Do you carry a piece when on a trip?
What are the laws when going from state to state?
Do you openly declare it when stopped by or assisted in and emergency by law authorities?
How about travelling when you cross the borders to other countries (i.e. US to Canada)?
I don't mean to be solicitous or insulting but your questions are somewhat naive and can't exactly be answered with any identication showing. Handgun laws vary so much from state to state (not to mention Canada's arcane requirements for transporting any weapon) that I would recommend joining organizations such as NRA, GOA (Gun Owners of America), among many others.

Once again, did not mean to be insulting, but those who are gun afficianados should understand my position. Some of the replys were excellent by the way! Perhaps, and again not to be insulting, if you have to ask these questions you are in no position to be carrying a weapon on/in your vehicle. Good luck!

·
Registered
315 Posts
The LT has the benefit of a top case. (Locking trunk)
I could be wrong in regard to federal law but does this not allow for legal transport of a properly stowed, unloaded firearm nationally?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Notwithstanding any state or local law, a person shall be entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he may lawfully possess it to any other place where he may lawfully possess such firearm if the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. This pertains to passage of persons with firearms in interstate travel, meaning that you are passing through (not stopping or staying) a state where you do not have legal standing to posses said firearm.

As soon as any firearm (handgun, rifle, or shotgun) is carried on or about the person, or placed where it is readily accessible in a vehicle, state and local firearms laws regarding carrying apply.
Once you reach your destination, state, and/or municipal law will control the ownership, possession, and transportation of your firearms.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
We could thank Ronald Reagan for that law, BTW. Prior to that you could have been incarcerated, e.g. in Massachusetts for even bringing a handgun into that state. However, locals tend to put spin on the law and in many instances the law is really what the local constabulary want it to be. You get incarcerated and then it's sorted out later. For example, having a CCP/CWP here in FL and there are reciprocal states, I was talking with a LEO acquaintance and was surprised at his lack of knowledge of the state laws and some of its finer points. The attitude is "If I perceive it a problem we take 'em in, sort it out later." Also, as you know the laws are Draconian. Other examples are, FL and MI have concealed carry recipocity. MI and NY have reciprocity. But, FL and NY do not. Believe it was the 'distributive law of mathematics' Things equal to the same thing . . . etc.

So, a guod rule of thumb is use good judgment, hope you never have to declare, low profile it, and decide the level of risk you are willing to incur. Much like our decision to ride a motorcycle.

Sorry for the epistle!

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
don't speak for me, please

tscholl said:
please don't put words in my mouth, and i shall return the favor.

i do not carry handguns. i do not like it when others have them. i don't consider one "my friend." and i will vote against them every time.

thx for the opportunity to clear up this point. for me, it is an important one.

·
Rider Journeyman
2,015 Posts
ATFLT said:
I have heard that carrying a gun loaded will cause more problems than an unloaded gun.
What the hell good is an unloaded gun? :confused: Draw one and it's likely you'd have REAL problems. :eek:

I know what you meant, just couldn't resist.;)

·
Registered
315 Posts
And this is where people can get into trouble and need to know the laws. For instance...If you were traveling to CCR this year, you would still be OK after arriving in Wyoming, because it is lawfull to carry a firearm in your vehicle in that state assuming that it is unloaded and in the trunk, or unloaded and locked up in the passenger compartment. (Hence, the number of hunting rifles we see out this way locked in a gun rack in the cabs of pick-me-up trucks) However, even though not all states a person choosing as a destination allow for carry in a vehicle at all, the one thing a traveler does have going for him is that, while traveling, even though you may be staying in your destination state for a period of time..you are, technically still transitory as your true intent and final destination is a round trip. This interpretation is, of course at the discretion of the Law enforcement officer and ultimately the court but most L.E. officers are O.K. in these situations.

·
Rider Journeyman
2,015 Posts
KBandit said:
i do not carry handguns. i do not like it when others have them.
Then you'd better stay out of Florida. It's pretty much a law that "everyone has to pack heat". ;)

Seriously, just about anyone in Florida, with a few exceptions, can get a CWP in and since that's been the case, their crime rate has been dropping like a stone.

Here in California you've got less than "a snowball's chance in hell" of getting a CWP in a metropolitan area.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
thx ... and florida cops.

BillyOmaha said:
Here in California you've got less than "a snowball's chance in hell" of getting a CWP in a metropolitan area.
and that's JUST how i like it! LOL.

i know all about guns and the south. i was raised around guns deep in the bayou country of louisiana.

BTW ... not to hijack a thread or anything ... but what's the deal with florida cops? my son had a run-in with a couple of dirty-harry wanna-bes down there that he'll never forget. and he was doing NOTHING wrong.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
In the small town of Gueda Springs, Kansas, the city council has passed an ordinance that with few exceptions, requires homeowners to keep guns. Failure to comply results in a $10 fine. Kennesaw, Georgia passed a similar law 21 years ago--and it's still in force.

Here in Oregon they have to issue a CWP to everyone who requests one, unless they do not qualify: felon, mental illness, ect. And it is legal, except in some cities to wear a side arm (as long as it is not concealed) with no permit.

·
Rider Journeyman
2,015 Posts
KBandit said:
and that's JUST how i like it! LOL.

BTW ... not to hijack a thread or anything ... but what's the deal with florida cops? my son had a run-in with a couple of dirty-harry wanna-bes down there that he'll never forget. and he was doing NOTHING wrong.
Don't know about Florida cops. There's always a few "bad apples" and maybe your son ran into one. :(

In re California and the CWP stance. I'm of two minds about actually carrying one, but absolutely positive about the "right" to carry one.

I was on a family (wife and two young kids) road trip and chose the "road less travelled", a dirt road in the middle of nowhere in the dessert. In a car there were four, pardon the political incorrectness, low life scum bags, and they blocked our path. They mused out loud that our tires might fit the car they'd left behind.

On that particular trip the hangun was between the seats and my hand was resting on it, hidden from view. Fortunately for all concerned they decided that the tires wouldn't fit and moved on. The wife (now ex) is a very liberal, anti-gun type, but she said afterword that she was very happy that I'd made the choice to bring it.

I know I'm not going to change your mind, but I will also defend your right not to carry. ;)

·
Registered
315 Posts
I can respect some peoples dislike for "guns" and they certainly shouldn't be fined for not wanting one in thier home. Unfotunately, too many anti-gun people can't respect the choice of law abbiding citizens to own one.
I, myself never had much desire or intent to ever own a firearm until a very specific circumstance in my life. It really is too bad that circumstances such as mine have to occur but the reality of the situation is the truth and the fantasy, or ideal situation that we would all like to live just isn't possible. Criminals, dictators, genocidal maniacs and plain old bad people will always exist. As long as there is man, there will be a capacity for men to devise ways of destruction and murder. A dislike of guns for thier primary function is natural and should be respected but a certain amount of respect could be given to those good people accepting the responsibility of keeping the balance, Which is realy what it's all about.
Uh Oh...It's gone "there" again hasn't it? :)

·
Rider Journeyman
2,015 Posts
DaveDragon said:
Not as easy as you may think to get a CWP in Florida.
Requires a firearms safety class,
Properly executed CWP paperwork,
Properly executed FBI Finger Print Card,
Shoot for demonstration purposes in the presence of a LEO that signs off on you,
$129.00 fee to the Sec of State,
Minimum 90 days for National Agency Check.
Send it all to the Sec of State and wait!

Not that it's hard to get, it's just a PITA!
Correct me if I'm wrong on this Dave. In Florida you cannot be denied a CWP unless you are a convicted Felon, or have some mental defect, right?

Here in California, wanting a CPW would be considered a mental defect, hence no CPW ;)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts