BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you read any of my "Baffled" post, you'll see I had issues after a 24K service. New plugs, filters etc. Now that I have the bike running I see a new problem.

When I start it, I see some raw fuel coming out of the exhaust. I let the bike warm up, and rev it fairly high, 3 - 5 times and now I see a lot of raw fuel on the concrete on my garage floor under the exhaust. Is this just expelling all the fuel that didn't burn when it wouldn't start earlier? Or do I possibly have another issue? If this were my Maico 250 I'd assume the float was stuck, but guess thats kinda impossible on this bike.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Could be a faulty O2 sensor.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While apart during the first baffled session I cut the line under the seat to the canister and cut the other line on the left side and plugged it per instruciotns for this modification posted on here. So, can't be that. I'm wondering if it's just a bunch of fule in it from not starting earlier.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
brain storming without see it but...

-spark plug not woking the fuel gets flushed.
-computer thinking its to lean so adds so much fuel it can burn it all.
-fuel flow not shutting off still injecting fuel during exhaust cycle.

what else?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not water, and it's quite a bit of fuel. The higher I rev it, the more it spews out.

·
Registered
676 Posts
If the motor is running fine, it's probably just buildup from trying to start it, just take it out and run the piss out of it for a few miles, then check it. I'm sure if it was passing that much unburned fuel through the motor it would run like crap..

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,795 Posts
+1. Get out and ride it for 20 minutes and them assess.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just a stray thought from someone with no experience of this fault;

If the exhaust has a significant amount of fuel in it, and it get kinda warmish by running it, is there any possibility of a "super backfire"? :eek:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ummmm...... Kinda my thought too! Especially since it's my but above the exhaust and my legs around the fuel tank. Just sayin.

And, it's actually on a small trailer that I use when I work on it to raise it up. I'd need to put all the plastic back on, unload it, and then run it up the road. I was kind of hoping for a definetive answer before I went throught all that. But, if thats the prevailing answer, then thats what I'm gonna do.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,795 Posts
Well the worst thing you can do is let it sit and idle as it warms up. Drive it around naked for a test run. I don't expect you will blow up - maybe shoot some really nice flames out the tail pipe but no explosion.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I posted a reply in your other "baffled" thread.
You might want to refer back to it if not done so already.

Your new problem somewhat confirms my suspicion I mentioned in other post about the engine possibly flooding (too much fuel).

The suggestion here regarding the defunct O2 sensor is more inline w/ possible causes than other suggestions offered, but I'm not saying this is it. What I am saying is your issue might be more complex.

I originally said all one needs for a gasoline engine is fuel, air, and spark (simply put). I also mentioned you apparently do not have a fuel supply problem because your application of ether didn't help, thereby proving it wasn't a supply problem, however, you could very well have a fuel management problem, and this is where the complexity comes in, as well as my statement about the oxygen sensor. It is part of the fuel management/delivery system. I'm new to LTs, so I can only offer general/fundamental advice, but accurately troubleshooting and repairing these kinds of problems can require very expensive diagnostic tools and equipment.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's my suspicion......

It ran for 100 miles perfectly. It was fueled up before the 100 mile run and a little over full. It was then parked in the sun for 7 hours. When I tried to start it after sitting for the 7 hours, it sputtered, started, then died.

I'm guessing the canister had issues from the overflow, which caused the sputter etc. But, when it died, I flooded it, fouling the new plugs. The more I tried to start it, thinking it was a canister problem or line off the fuel pump issue, the more fuel I dumped into her.

After tearing down, checking fuel lines, I put the old plugs back in, but did turn it over several times, for several seconds which in theory blew enough fuel out of the jugs to let the old plugs fire her up. The remaining fuel simply hasn't had time to get flushed out yet.

Thats probably an optimistic hypothesis. It also could be, as stated, a more intricate issue with O2 sensor, electronic fuel delivery, or something along those lines, which I cannot test for.

So, when I find a sucker, i mean friend, to help me get her off the trailer I will run it up the road and hope.

The saga to be continued......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts