Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Just remember to wipe up the spills, then it'll stay clean

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
???

um, what's the point?

Don't get me wrong, I am a paying member (obviously), and always will be, but isn't one of the genuinely special things about this website is that it isn't in any way exclusionary?

I'd just hate this to be a slippery slope of any type, and have the forum end up like some others, where you can't access things like posted articles (hall of wisdom) or attachments or archives unless you're a "real member." I think that would go against what I've come to believe this forum and it's members are about.

PLEASE let this section, if it must exist, be a supplement only and not something that eventually restricts access to things that up until now people have had free access to.

I understand the frustration that must exist when forum members (particularly those who litter the threads with posts) can't find it in their wallets to donate even a couple bucks to support the cause.

Who knows, maybe "main entry page" splash graphics once in a while mentioning some of the costs involved ("RAID server...$XXX WEBSITE HOSTING...$XXX MAINTENANCE...$XXX PROGRAMMING COSTS MONTHLY...$XXX ACCESS TO A WORLD OF INFORMATION AND FRIENDS...PRICELESS, BUT CAN'T YOU DONATE JUST $2 A MONTH? CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS)

Some people feel they have to have an understanding of WHY they are being asked to contribute...or what the costs are they are being asked to contribute to...perhaps you can just give a PARTIAL breakdown of SOME of the costs...maybe just "here are some of the REAL costs just the last six months, excluding the hundreds of hours that have been spent by forum members to operate, troubleshoot, and maintain the site..." and, perhaps more important: "Remember when the system took a giant dump a couple months ago? This is what it took to fix it, and these are the things planned to prevent it in the future, and the planned budget to make it happen...if you felt the pangs of bmwlt.com withdrawal as much as we did, help defray the costs..."

Yes, I understand there will be a fistfull of a-holes who will reply with "you idiots are getting ripped off, I can get a blablabla server for half that..." but those goofs wouldn't contribute anyway, so don't do it in a thread and delete their email with a giggle, because it would happen no matter what.

I offered a while ago to help with some bmwlt.com fundraising ideas (specifically lapel/riding jacket pins, t-shirts and stickers). I'm still willing to do so, as a member of a small committee but not solo (my health has declined as of late, and I am not in a financial position to take a hit like I did on the DA pins).

take a peek at http://www.lxforums.com/

they sell a bunch of stuff with their logo (the skull and crossbones in the right area of the main homepage) that supports operation. Obviously this site would want something more, uh, "upscale?" but with a committee to plan and design, I am certain that it would be a revenue stream for the site, and if it took off, excess could be donated to the CCR designated charity annually.

Well, sorry for going on and on...

Griff it was nice seeing your name again.

Moderators and those who run the site, I appreciate what you do...particularly the last few months here have been many days that visits to the site here to "visit friends" have been a real source of comfort in the midst of turmoil. Which is why I'd like to suggest that "creating a section of the playground where not everyone can play" might have some negative impact that wasn't anticipated or intended.

(and yes, I anticipate some criticism for voicing this, so have at it)

Pete

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
grifscoots said:
This will be a "value added" section. Upcoming thangs in the future, TBA.

No way exclusionary, or divisive. How can it be exclusionary when for less than a tank of gas, you can belong. Who among us can't afford one dollar a month?

This is also what's called "a soft opening". Andy is ironing out bugs as we speak.
I'm gonna go find some other place to play. All this exclusionary exclusivity is more than I can deal with:(:p:D

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
grifscoots said:
Testing for moderation, test, test, 1, 2, 3, test.

DAMN he go access. We're gonna have to ban ya:D

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
I think it was Grouch Marx who said something like "I wouldn't belong to an organization that would have me as a member." :D

My one-year supporting membership has expired. How is it I can get to this forum -- is this the "soft opening" Grif refers to?

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
hschisler said:
I think it was Grouch Marx who said something like "I wouldn't belong to an organization that would have me as a member." :D

My one-year supporting membership has expired. How is it I can get to this forum -- is this the "soft opening" Grif refers to?
How is it? Quite simple, because you DO something for the community by being one of the bored directors of CCR. But now that you say it, maybe you should renew your membership.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler

andy said:
How is it? Quite simple, because you DO something for the community by being one of the bored directors of CCR. But now that you say it, maybe you should renew your membership.
Yeah!!! Pay up buster!!!:D

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
As my boss likes to say, "You guys are killin' me!"

I know... my renewal is overdue... big time. I hope to fix that before too much longer.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Thanks to all the un-named behind the scenes

This forum and its collective information has saved me more than the supporting membership costs, many times over. You guys are the best. Your dedication is above the call of duty. I owe you guys big time. See you at CCR in 2008.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts