BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at new moduler helmits for the misses and myself. Who make the lightest one ? The SO needs a very light weight helmet. Thanks in advance for all your help :D

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Neither my wife Alicia or my riding friend Nancy complain about the weight of their Nolans. Just remember that Nolan makes three different modular helmets for different shaped heads. Alicia has the N100E, and Nancy the N102. They also make a helmet called the X-Lite X-1002. But before you get too excited, IIRC it weighs 4 ounces more than the other two. Perhaps by now they've rectified that.

·
Registered
14,452 Posts
katnapinn said:
I am looking at new moduler helmits for the misses and myself. Who make the lightest one ? The SO needs a very light weight helmet. Thanks in advance for all your help :D
Hey, Bud --- you and Sammie goin' to Lone Star's Open House next month? I'm gonna try on a few of the helmets that Denise has in inventory, with special emphasis on the Caberg. I've never paid much attention to a helmet's weight, butt may this time. I'm off of HJCs for awhile; been round the horn on Nolans over the last 7 years and liked 'em; just wanna see if I like the Caberg. Bruce Coleman up in Rowlett got one and likes it. Ping him and see if he knows if there might be a weight advantage/disadvantage.

Cya at the dessert table on Lamar Street!!! :D

·
Premium Member
7,797 Posts
messenger13 said:
...Just remember that Nolan makes three different modular helmets for different shaped heads...
Interesting. I knew Arai did that but wasn't aware Nolan did, too.

What head shape is each of the Nolan models geared towards? I had to do a fair amount of reshaping the foam in my Nolan N102 to make it fit comfortably. Would be nice to not have to do that when it's time for another helmet.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
hschisler said:
Interesting. I knew Arai did that but wasn't aware Nolan did, too.

What head shape is each of the Nolan models geared towards? I had to do a fair amount of reshaping the foam in my Nolan N102 to make it fit comfortably. Would be nice to not have to do that when it's time for another helmet.
All I can tell you is that the N100 and N102 are shaped very differently. You probably should try on my N100E next time you get the chance.

·
8,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dick said:
Hey, Bud --- you and Sammie goin' to Lone Star's Open House next month? I'm gonna try on a few of the helmets that Denise has in inventory, with special emphasis on the Caberg. I've never paid much attention to a helmet's weight, butt may this time. I'm off of HJCs for awhile; been round the horn on Nolans over the last 7 years and liked 'em; just wanna see if I like the Caberg. Bruce Coleman up in Rowlett got one and likes it. Ping him and see if he knows if there might be a weight advantage/disadvantage.

Cya at the dessert table on Lamar Street!!! :D
Dick We are going to LS open house for sure. We wouldn't miss it. Guess I better get to the dessert table before ya :histerica I looked at the Caberg last week and really liked the look of it but was in a hurry so didn't get to try one on.

·
Premium Member
4,874 Posts
Nice Article

Just an FYI, I've had the Nolan, in the test, for about 6 months and have put around 3,000 miles on it. Took it on a 2,500 mile trip from Florida to WV and back , hit a lot of rain throughout Florida and it really performed well. Every head is different and because of that, it is an individual comfort factor, but I highly recommend the Nolan. I would definitely purchase it again. Quite a difference in comfort , road noise elimination and rain deflection compared to my previous 3/4 helmet.

·
8,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I bit the bullit today and picked up the "New" Nolan N102N.It has the com port built in where the com module goes and cheak and ear pad area is ready for speakers. Very nice and light weight,but the true test come tommarow when I go for a 2 to 3 hour ride. I'll let y'all know what I think then :D

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
mjac said:
Which helmet fits which head shape?
The Nolan is more for an oval head. The Areostitch catalog has a few helmets and the book tells you what helmet fits which shape head.

·
Registered
684 Posts
ibbones said:
The Nolan is more for an oval head. The Areostitch catalog has a few helmets and the book tells you what helmet fits which shape head.
Ah, yes. Thanks. However my question was to a comment that Nolan had three helmets for different head shapes.
Can you answer that question? (as in post #9 of this thread)

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
mjac said:
Ah, yes. Thanks. However my question was to a comment that Nolan had three helmets for different head shapes.
Can you answer that question? (as in post #9 of this thread)
Sorry Mike. that's just what I have read from a book. I am going to buy a new helmet VERY soon as mine was stolen at the Lone Star Rally and I am back on my old half helmet. I have my eye on the N102 but I have not tried it on yet.

·
8,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ibbones said:
Sorry Mike. that's just what I have read from a book. I am going to buy a new helmet VERY soon as mine was stolen at the Lone Star Rally and I am back on my old half helmet. I have my eye on the N102 but I have not tried it on yet.
Bones I have the N102N and love it best move if made basides getting the BMW itself :D

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
katnapinn said:
Bones I have the N102N and love it best move if made basides getting the BMW itself :D
Now I understand we all have different likes and dislikes and that's a good thing,
but I'm just wondering about the above statement, and what you're opinion is based on,
cause I happen to know that you've only had this helmet three days,
and how many miles?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I tried on the Caberg at the Cycle Show. That is a nice hat! If I was in the market for a new lid, it would be my first choice. NOTE: I saw at least 2 versions of the Caberg - one with the built in sunvisor and one without.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
katnapinn said:
Well I bit the bullit today and picked up the "New" Nolan N102N.It has the com port built in where the com module goes and cheak and ear pad area is ready for speakers. Very nice and light weight,but the true test come tommarow when I go for a 2 to 3 hour ride. I'll let y'all know what I think then :D
Incidentally, if you call the 800 # in the Nolan instructions, they will send you FREE cheek pads of different sizes if you need a custom fit. You need to send the old ones back to them AFTER you receive them (so don't munge them up). I needed an XL but a L pad, Wife needed a L helmet but a M pad.
All type of combinations, some people need a M helmet but a L pad.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
SmokinJoe said:
Incidentally, if you call the 800 # in the Nolan instructions, they will send you FREE cheek pads of different sizes if you need a custom fit. You need to send the old ones back to them AFTER you receive them (so don't munge them up). I needed an XL but a L pad, Wife needed a L helmet but a M pad.
All type of combinations, some people need a M helmet but a L pad.
That is interesting. In one of the years I went to the Americade.. I chatted with the Nolan Rep and they fit me and explained why. They said that one of the reasons my old Nolan was noisy was a combo of wind coming over the windshield and cheek pads that were too small.. They would sell new cheek pads for $15 but I really never took them up on the deal.. mainly cause I had to do something out of the norm.

Your mentioning of this brings the pad fit to mind. I'm thinking of getting some new equipment over the winter and I think my 3 year Nolan is on the block. Every time I pass a big M/C shop I think that IF I had some more time I would like to try the new N102 on.. Good to hear they are following through with proper fitting.

·
8,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SilverBuffalo said:
Now I understand we all have different likes and dislikes and that's a good thing,
but I'm just wondering about the above statement, and what you're opinion is based on,
cause I happen to know that you've only had this helmet three days,
and how many miles?
Hans yes it has only been 3 days and about 450 miles but after wearing a half Helmet for 3 years then a open face $40.00 POS for the last 2 years I guess any quality helmet would he great. That been said I just liKe the fit and it is 10 times quieter then what I had. Now give mea few thounsandmiles with it and I know if it is the one for me.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
katnapinn said:
Thanks, I'll be trying one on at the Lone Star open house. Silver XL ought to do the trick.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts