BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my first non-Harley m/c and so far I love it.I purchased a used K-1200 and have already put over a thousand miles on her. I am certainly not used to the sound nor performance but will try to adjust. I have already availed myself of a lot of technical information on this site,and have found it to be most helpful in adjusting to my new ride,Thanks everyone. I was told that there might be an aftermarket lowering kit available,and was wondering if anyone has installed one if it does exist. :confused: Otherwise I will just tip toe at the
lights! :dance:

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'm not sure about a lowering kit, but I believe Works Performance shocks sells a set that will do the job. You might also check Wilbers and Ohlins as well.
I've been doing some research into new shocks and I think I saw something about one of them coming in a shorter version. You might do a search on the site and see what you come up with.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Welcome aboard.
Not too technical info;
Make sure your seat is in the lower position and you can crank your shock adjuster back all the way to get it to sit lower.
If you done that already, just be careful where you stop.
Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,178 Posts
BeemerDreemer said:
I just purchased my first non-Harley m/c and so far I love it.I purchased a used K-1200 and have already put over a thousand miles on her. I am certainly not used to the sound nor performance but will try to adjust. I have already availed myself of a lot of technical information on this site,and have found it to be most helpful in adjusting to my new ride,Thanks everyone. I was told that there might be an aftermarket lowering kit available,and was wondering if anyone has installed one if it does exist. :confused: Otherwise I will just tip toe at the
Welcome to the forum! Take a look here and you may find what you are looking for if you meant lowering kit for the footpegs: http://www.suburban-machinery.com/

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
BeemerDreemer said:
Lotsa folks have done the following, in order to feel more secure at stops. Lower the rider seat to the low position (using the rotating bar under the seat), and then having 'some' riding boots resoled with a thicker sole in order to gain a half to three quarters of an inch (some = meaning not all m/c boots are easily resoled - takes a sharp cobbler to do 'em).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Folks for the suggestions.I have a Corbin custom seat and I think that is part of the problem,in that it does not conform to the bike width where the seat begins to widen,nor does it possess a lowering bar, but well worth the inconvenience I am told. I am in the process of ordering new gear that is more appropriate for the type of riding I am now doing.(sleevless,and non-DOT type helmet will not serve me too well,now that I can actually negotiate the twisties!) I will try lowering the shock adjuster to a lower setting and see if it helps. Just a side bar,you all, (BMW Owners), sure seem a lot more technically saavy than I am used to :eek: and with the cost of maintaining a m/c today I sure do appreciate your forum. :)

·
Registered
666 Posts
If you haven't read elsewhere on this sight, most ex cruiser riders have one problem adjusting to the LT. It likes it's rpms at or above 4000. Don't be afraid to rev it. Especially in the twisties, don't let them get below 4000 rpm.

Have fun with the new ride !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts