BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Did some R&D with my remus "Street can" to try and get rid of that throaty helmet resonating rumble. (mostly under 3500 rpm crusing or during power roll on)
Reason why, my wife finds the rumble very annoying, I agree with her ... So WALA, this is what I came up with.

Using stainless 1.250 O.D. / .020" wall tubing - inserted an @ 4" piece into exit of muffler.

*** Noise of the low frequency kind is LESS THAN HALF ! with no noticeable loss in power. Still has the nice Remus purr, but lacks the rumble ....... NICE !!!

It would seem by straighting out the flow of gas's at outlet, the rumbles gone.
Because of the angle of outlet, the tube gets canted slighty and wedges into place, a small tack of RTV silacone applied so it can't rattle back out. Removable if needed ... Very K.I.S.S.

Regards.
Scott

Attachments

Reactions: STARFIGHTER

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I like it. I had been reluctant to upgrade my exhaust since my wife still gives me a hard time about the 540's sport exhaust "note". This might be the answer for me. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Good job, Scott!! :cool:

I have the same Remus pipe, and my wife has the same issue with the low loud rumble (I've been keeping RPMs higher (4K+) as a result, but can't always do so). I'll be copying your method right away!!

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave,
No salt here, so ... no corrosion.

I did however shine it up after I purchased it used @ 4 months ago using a "Fine" scotchbright pad. Now @ 4K on it.

Scott

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Hi Scott! Thanks for the R&D. My bike is going into the shop this week and I am adding a chip. Was reluctant to buy the exhaust, but now that you have enlightened us on how to cut down the noise, I am going to add a Remus exhaust to the shopping list as well. Just a quick question for you, is the metal piece just straight pipe. One end in the photo looks like it has a smaller diamater than the other. Thanks for your help. Ron Hiebert

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
ronk1200lt said:
Hi Scott! Thanks for the R&D. My bike is going into the shop this week and I am adding a chip. Was reluctant to buy the exhaust, but now that you have enlightened us on how to cut down the noise, I am going to add a Remus exhaust to the shopping list as well. Just a quick question for you, is the metal piece just straight pipe. One end in the photo looks like it has a smaller diamater than the other. Thanks for your help. Ron Hiebert
Same diameter 1.250"O.D. x .020" wall x @ 4" long ... nothing special at all.

Regards.
Scott

**** BTW. I have @ 3 feet of this materal ... so IF you want to do the mod, but can't find some tubing locally, I can set you guys up while my supply lasts.

Figure cost @ $10 for a 6" piece .. shipped in lower 48

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Had 6 pieces of 6" SS tube ... as of Weds A.M. ... as of 5:15 pm ... Out of tubing !

Thanks guys.

Please post your results once done.

Scott

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oups ... Have 1 more tube avalible

Reactions: RaffyK

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now out of tubes.

A great mod BTW !!

Have more fun with LESS noise.

Scott

·
Prodigal Son
1,297 Posts
Length

motorhead said:
Did some R&D with my remus "Street can"
Scott, did you try different lenths at all??
If, not how did you settle on just 4''? (Ok guys, keep it out of the gutter.)

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ed,
Well, it does not go in any further than 4 inchs.

The tilted angle of the spigot on the remus street can makes the tube go in slighted tilted too, once in @ 4", The tube hits the side of the internal baffle stopping it.

When I first played around with the idea my tube was @ 8 inchs long, and hung out @ 4" ... it was quieter, just ugly as hell.
At 4" noise is a tad more than at 8" ... but still a LOT quieter than without tube at all.

Scott

·
Prodigal Son
1,297 Posts
motorhead said:
Ed,
Well, it does not go in any further than 4 inchs.
The tube hits the side of the internal baffle stopping it.
just made a deal with another member to buy an aluminum street can set-up
should get here while horrse is "gettin' clutched".

May try cross drilling the insert piece,since as you pointed out it touches the baffle.
But I'lll wait til I see the system in the flesh (er, metal)

·
Registered
20 Posts
mod report

Scott..I thought I would let you know that your mod I installed works like a champ!.It appears to have cut the sound by 30-40% with no loss of power.

Thanks so much. It is the perfect answer for the remus on a touring bike.

Lorin

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sure is. One of my passions over the last 15+ years.
S2DOG said:
Hey Scott,

Is that a radio Control Hydro you're handling there??

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Ka-Za !!!!
Got the trike back today with the new Remus installed..............
the sound sort of echoed under the body work and HD guys were giving me the thumbs up.......
I had to add an extension to the silencer to clear the body work so I was able to add 6 inches of "the fix" inside the extension ..........................
What a difference ! I can't believe that little piece of ss cut the rumble at least by half.............
Good fix Scott !!!
Thanx

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
How does it stay in place?

Scott,

I'm sort of late to the discussion and had a question on the extension you designed. What keeps it in place and is there any vibration? One other question, what is a good source of pipe?

Thanks for sharing what seems to be a great idea.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
dandiver said:
Scott,

I'm sort of late to the discussion and had a question on the extension you designed. What keeps it in place and is there any vibration? One other question, what is a good source of pipe?..
I'll jump in an answer the question, since I have had the little extension mod sitting in the topcase for many months now, and just got around to installing it last week! It fits snugly in the pipe, so there's no vibration, and once you've got it fit and cut and tap it back in (it slides quite a ways in, so seems very secure), you use a bead of silicone around it to help secure it (obviously, you have to clean the soot out of the end your pipe before doing that). As others have said, it does a great job of reducing the noise, with no noticeable effect on performance. A very simple, yet elegant solution!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts