BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

A Mind Of Her Own?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mechanic 
#1 ·
Hello guys. Hope I have reach all of you in good health and enjoying your bikes better than ever. Just wanted to ask a question about something that happened to me on my trip from Tampa to Daytona on Biketoberfest weekend. Just after passing Orlando there was a nasty accident on I 4 and traffic was horrible around 1 and half hour of stop and go traffic, cars overheating on side of the road and people pushing bikes down the Interestate to the nearest exit. At some point after a hour of stop and go trafic the bike`s radio spiked loud and the speedo niddle spiked to 20 mph, all in a fraction of a second with both feet on the ground, The bike was running a bit hotter than usual just pass very little the middle of the bar wich is normal specially under the traffic conditions at 2:00 pm, and the idle got a bit unstable fluctuating about 50 rpm right under 1000. I know everybody had experience gostly behaviors at some point on cars and bikes, but I figure I pop the question just to see the reaction. I know that BMW never had the best electrical systems in the world (at least on cars) I can tell you that being a mechanic for over 25 years. Any comments will be apreciated since there is a world of knoledge and wisdom in this site. Thank you all.

#2 ·
Well, crawling along for 1 1/2 hours in the heat what you experienced doesn't seem that unusual.

The idle fluctuation maybe because you were pretty much in a hot soak condition and FI doesn't like extended idle periods. The manual even notes to start the bike and ride. This one I would leave alone.

The speedo and audio, maybe just a glitch in the speed sensor or wiring. I would think the audio spiked because it saw a speed increase and compensated for it. Look for the common link between the two rather than two separate problems. If you really want to look for a one time split second glitch I would focus on the speed sensor circuit, actually I would ignore it unless it kept happening.

Good Luck

#3 ·
I have had the unstable idle when running hot but never the spike. I'de check for loose battery and other connections that may have loosened from the expansion/contraction that will occur from the heat.

#4 ·
Thank for the reply guys. It makes lots of sence about the audio increasing with the speed. I`ll leave it alone unless it happens again. I will also do a load test to the battery with my Midtronics MDTEXP800 battery tester and analyzer just to be safe. I know that on previous experiences with cars if a battery gets a bad cell the gauges start to act up, specially in newer cars. Thank you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.