BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pics for A.M. and anyone else who might be interested.

Here's a summation of the history from the rider:

".....have the classic symptom of a cyclic grinding noise....It is on a 2000 LT and just rolled over to 30K miles.... put at least 150 miles on it to get home.... running mineral oil and it appears to slightly darker than new but does have a very large amount of suspended metal flakes and the magnet has a very large fur ball attached....."

Sorry, my pic of outer race, balls, and retainer not focused; inner and outer race, balls all severely spalled, retainer is broken in one spot. It would have taken out the hub oil seal very soon. The "creeping" input pinion needle bearing race in evidence. Input pinion disassembled to clean out the metal debris and press the needle bearing race back home. Fortunately no visible damage to the input pinion bearings or tapered roller bearing. New crownwheel bearing, input pinion seal, hub seal, preload setup shims and it should be good.

The shim that was in there was 0.80mm. I'll wager it measures up for at least 0.20mm less shim thinkness for the rebuild.

Attachments

·
Registered
596 Posts
Curtis, that is exactly what I had
A .8mm shim and .2mm over.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts