BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, this is my 1st thread. My 2000 LT runs a little rough after it warms up. It has 75000mi on her and it has done it since about 40000. I just did a bucket spacing update to increase the gaps to factory specs. Replaced the air and fuel filter also but not change to the hot idle?? :( Anyone else experience this?
Altmax

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
2000 LT 75K...

So many things it could be...

Is it just rough at Idle ? I think I'd take it out and blow the cobs out of it and see if that helps..

John

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Just in case you didn't catch the reference below. Take the bike out where you can get it up to speed without getting busted by the law and run the RPM'S up to 7,000 or so. 8,000 won't hurt a thing. Remember, you will be exceeding the speed limit in second gear at 8,000 rpm so make sure you are in a safe area free from "the man".

One down side to doing this is that you will likely find the experience quite exhilarating. Nothing quite like an up shift at 8K rpms. She accelerates like a big dog and this is intoxicating!

Good luck,

Loren

JPSpen said:
2000 LT 75K...

So many things it could be...

Is it just rough at Idle ? I think I'd take it out and blow the cobs out of it and see if that helps..

John

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Also dump some seafoam in the gas tank and that will help to decarbon the engine.

Take it out and run it up till it hit's the rev limiter...Hold it there and quick shift it...Quick shift by putting upward pressure on the shift lever well in advance of the shift, Then a quick. smooth, short pull/release of the clutch..She loves to shift like that by the way..

Now take the part in red with a grain of salt. Maybe not quite to the rev limiter, But that's what I would do... You'll find yourself going stupid fast after about two shifts....
Just take it all the way to the top then a good smooth shift and full throttle again..I usually do this out on the county roads.. Two or three miles between stop signs...Run it up.. Back off to the speed limit... At the next stop repeat....Do that three or four times should be enough to tell if this is the issue...

Is it possible you could blow the engine ? Yes, But only because there was something way wrong with it anyway.....

Hold on....It will become addicting and the LT really does like to have the piss run out of it...Crazy Germans...It's only sweet above 5K...

John

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I was experiencing rough idle after sitting for 2 months. I did the Seafoam thing like John says, about 2 weeks ago. Ran the tank almost empty, filled up with fresh fuel and she runs great now. Since you say it has run rough since 40k makes me think injectors. Try the Seafoam and run the hell out of it and see what happens.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot guys! Good suggestions. Before I did the post I put some gumout in the tank with about 5 gals of gas and ran it up to temp until the fans kicked in a couple of times. This didn't seem to help at all but I haven't been able to run it out on the road yet. I'm still socked in with ice and snow where I live but should be able to get out in another two weeks or so. One thing I should mention is when I slowly crank on the throttle to bring her up to about 3000 rpm (no load) I can feel her miss a little through the revs. Could that be due to carbon as well? I'm pretty conservitive when I ride so she may be carboned up I suppose. I've never had much luck with seafoam on 4 stroke engines but I'll give it another try if you guys think it will help. My thinking is this engine should run and idle like a watch, rock solid ...right? Thanks again!
Altmax

·
Registered
438 Posts
Perhaps another possibility could be spark plugs and / or the plug wires.
(there's a couple of places in there where the wires can chafe)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The spark plugs are almost new but the wires are original. I'll try the "mist" test this weekend. Could a vacuum leak cause this condition at only hot? Thanks,
Altmax

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Temperature sensor? Wonder if the computer knows the engine is hot.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow! what a story line that was. What made you finally change the wires? Did your order OEM or make your own. Looks like these are $55 bucks apeace?? Thats crazy... Thanks!
Altmax

1 - 11 of 11 Posts