BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't let this happen to you! I was coming home from Arkansas, and made it to Grapevine on one tank of gas from Mena, AR, about 270 miles. It had been raining all day, and it was cold. I was deep into the red, so I decided to get gas before going home. I was sitting on my bike filling up, and was watching the pump numbers go by. I realized that the gas handle had not clicked off and gas was running over and down the overflow tube. Crap, I says. So I put the handle up, capped the tank, and looked down at the pavement to see a small puddle of gas underneath. I backed up a bit and started her up. Then the fun started. Flames burst out from both side of the lower fairing! I yelled to another motorist to run in and get the fire extinguisher, then backed further from the pump and got off. The guy ran out and started spraying. Flames came out of every hole for a bout a minute. Then it was out. The first thing I noticed was that the clutch handle was frozen. Who knows what the rest will be. I had her towed to BMW FW for triage. I should know this week what the damage will be, and I have filed a claim under my comprehensive coverage. On top of that, the rear main seal began leaking some time ago, and there is now oil on the clutch. So I guess I'll be riding Sweetpea's Sofia for a bit. :(

PS. Dick, don't fret. We are still coming to Houston!

·
Prodigal Son
1,297 Posts
Glad you're OK Rev.
Sorry about the LT, but IT's replaceable>>

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Rev,

Glad to hear you are alright. Sorry to hear about the bike, it can be fixed.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bruce said:
Rev,

Glad to hear you are alright. Sorry to hear about the bike, it can be fixed.
Thanks amigo! I am gonna be jonesin for ride soon I'm afraid. The boys at the shop seem to think it might be a total. I hope not!

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,457 Posts
munson said:
Thanks amigo! I am gonna be jonesin for ride soon I'm afraid. The boys at the shop seem to think it might be a total. I hope not!
Holy crapoly, Rev!! That sounded like a close one! Glad you didn't gitcher ....unhhh, ummmmm .... knees? singed! Boy, I'da still been runnin' down the street.

Guess them auto-shut-off thangies don't alwayz work too dang good, huh?

Anyway, glad you're ok. Sorry 'bout the 'totaling' comment. That's just one of those thangs - meant to be if it wuz meant to be.

Hey - you and SweetPea can ride double up on Sofia down here to Boerne and take Toad or the Goat to Houston. I'll take whichever you don't. Kinda outta the way, butt what the hay. I'm thinkin' of goin' Saturday morning' and do the show, then back to Boerne on Sunday. Allz I ax is you let me pump the gas on the way!!! :rolleyes: ;)

Cya soon, Muns. Best.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dick said:
Holy crapoly, Rev!! That sounded like a close one! Glad you didn't gitcher ....unhhh, ummmmm .... knees? singed! Boy, I'da still been runnin' down the street.

Guess them auto-shut-off thangies don't alwayz work too dang good, huh?

Anyway, glad you're ok. Sorry 'bout the 'totaling' comment. That's just one of those thangs - meant to be if it wuz meant to be.

Hey - you and SweetPea can ride double up on Sofia down here to Boerne and take Toad or the Goat to Houston. I'll take whichever you don't. Kinda outta the way, butt what the hay. I'm thinkin' of goin' Saturday morning' and do the show, then back to Boerne on Sunday. Allz I ax is you let me pump the gas on the way!!! :rolleyes: ;)

Cya soon, Muns. Best.
Those auto clicker off'ers have always worked for me. I'll never trust one again, that's for sure. I think I'll let Sweetpea drive me down there in her Blazer... and maybe I'll wear my asbestos undies just in case! :p

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
YIKES! Glad you are ok Munson.... Kind of lucky to have someone nearby who listened to your shout for an extinguisher.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Talk about a bummer

Talk about a bummer Rev. Glad your okay. Sorry to hear that they think the bike's a total. Somebody is watchin' over ya'. ;)

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Hope it's not totaled, but if it is, many listed in the classifieds that are good buys.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gulfxray said:
YIKES! Glad you are ok Munson.... Kind of lucky to have someone nearby who listened to your shout for an extinguisher.
Yep, I was thankful for that guy!

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Steve_R said:
Talk about a bummer Rev. Glad your okay. Sorry to hear that they think the bike's a total. Somebody is watchin' over ya'. ;)
Yep, the Good Lord is always watching out for me. The Colors rally was wonderful, by the way. I was truly blessed to be there.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
grifscoots said:
I'm not a beeg advocate of the "who shit my pants thang", but I do think there might be a leetle culpability from the gas station. It wouldn't hurt to contact them or have a lawdog craft a finely worded missive.

Glad you be unscathed!
I will bring it up with the insurance co. to see if there might be any. Thanks for your concern, amigo!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Holy Smoke Rev!!!! (pun intended)

That'll get the pucker factor way up there real quick. Really sorry to hear about your LT. Maybe it's just time to get a new one. You know... when it's time, it's time!

Stay safe out there.

Bill B.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Good Grief, Muns, that's a heck of a way to get boiled.....oh never mind!!

Glad you're OK. You and Sweetpea have had an eventful year, fur sure!
Best wishes from Gilda and myself.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
WOW!!! What an exciting day. Is this a common thing? I have also had pumps not stop when full so I have gotten into the habit of filling the bike SLOW and watching.
I am not so quick to think so I would have jumped off the bike and ran!!! Camera in hand and watch the big boom.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
:eek:Rev,
I am very sorry to hear about your bike BBQ. What a shock it must have been. MOST importantly you were not injured.
I must say your timing is really quite good in view of the fact that all of the IMS shows will be bringing the best right to you. :cool:
After being without a bike for such a long time I truly do not recommend it.
Get out there and partake of some retail therapy. :D
Best to you and Sweetpea
Coni

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
black1200lt said:
:eek:Rev,
I am very sorry to hear about your bike BBQ. What a shock it must have been. MOST importantly you were not injured.
I must say your timing is really quite good in view of the fact that all of the IMS shows will be bringing the best right to you. :cool:
After being without a bike for such a long time I truly do not recommend it.
Get out there and partake of some retail therapy. :D
Best to you and Sweetpea
Coni
Thank you, ma'am! It was shocking, and I have already received some advertising. I really hope it is not totaled. Did you get a new one?
Best to you, too! :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts