BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's probably several thousand dollars, but DAMN, I sure would like one of these bad boys. Made by Gentex for the military, it even has the same low G forces that the top ranked $150.00 Scorpion has.

You can even paint it. KEWL. :yeah:

Attachments

·
Registered
809 Posts
Check out the AGV Dragon on the AGV website. You could attach the David-Clark boom mike for comms.

I'll stop at recommending an O2 mask from www.flightsuits.com.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Cool.

I've always wonder what it would cost to have a custom-molded helmet make, like the military does. They use a standard outer shell andinject a fast-drying material between your head and the helmet shell, resulting in the perfect fit -- no pressure points, etc. Any idea what that would cost?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Here you go: HGU-33 helmet They do not meet DOT helmet requirements and will make a good dust collector.

Sit down before you scroll down; oh, you'll have to send your head so they can pour the custom liner. OR! Visit their place in El Cajon (San Diego).

·
IBR# 366
16,572 Posts
The ECE tests are just as stringent as DOT or Snell, and in many cases better.

But we have a lot more lawyers than you do. :) So if someone hits a tree at 90 mph, our lawyers will claim that the helmet should have protected the inebriated individual so therefore helmet manufacturer must be at fault. BMW could easily end up spending more in liability costs than the profit they'd likely make. So BMW and a few other manufacturers just don't bother getting their helmets certified by the US agencies. Sad, but true.

BTW, I never had any trouble with my ECE-certified System IV helmets over many years and a lot of miles, and I feel they were as well constructed and as safe as anything offered over here.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wacolt said:
Check out the AGV Dragon on the AGV website. You could attach the David-Clark boom mike for comms.

I'll stop at recommending an O2 mask from www.flightsuits.com.
I've had this geeky David Clark setup for years. Extremely cool even at 100F, the stereo sounds awesome (especially with the liquid filled ear seals) and the mike works great. I've also got a generic three snap smoke face shield for the front. :thumb: I have absolutely no idea how safe it is... :eek:

The only problem is that ever since I saw the diagram showing motorcycle related helmet "hits" I've only worn full face. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
meese said:
The ECE tests are just as stringent as DOT or Snell, and in many cases better.

But we have a lot more lawyers than you do. :) So if someone hits a tree at 90 mph, our lawyers will claim that the helmet should have protected the inebriated individual so therefore helmet manufacturer must be at fault. BMW could easily end up spending more in liability costs than the profit they'd likely make. So BMW and a few other manufacturers just don't bother getting their helmets certified by the US agencies. Sad, but true.

BTW, I never had any trouble with my ECE-certified System IV helmets over many years and a lot of miles, and I feel they were as well constructed and as safe as anything offered over here.

...and there's the BSI 6658 Type A from Britain, and the ANZI Z90 (military) standard. It seems like the latest "trend" is toward much softer internal materials and less concern about puncture resistance.

I'm still having a hard time coming to grips with the simple fact that my very expensive 3 year old Arai is in reality not very good. It ranks way down the list according to the latest stuff I've read.

I am SO confused. :crazy:

·
Registered
439 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
wacolt said:
Here you go: HGU-33 helmet They do not meet DOT helmet requirements and will make a good dust collector.

Sit down before you scroll down; oh, you'll have to send your head so they can pour the custom liner. OR! Visit their place in El Cajon (San Diego).
Not cheap! But not as much as I expected, and less than several Arai models. But, since they aren't DOT-certified it's a moot point.

Still, it would be sweet to have a custom helmet made to fit your noggin.

Related question: has anyone ever been stopped, or ticketed, for not wearing a DOT helmet? (assuming you are wearing a helmet in a state that requires it)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts