BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.....has just become available for those planning to ride around Lake Superior in 2012.

http://www.ridelakesuperior.com/

We're the first group to really have large-scale access to this, so I'd love hear your feedback.

Enjoy

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Thanks Brad' I was planning to do the ironbutt ride around Lake superior before CCR. The pictures and write ups are interesting but the map program is not useful at all.
Maybe I don't know how to use the map portion.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good luck with your IBA ride. I understand it's a pretty good challenge, since none of the road is superslab and there are a lot of smaller town to go through.

As for the maps, please let me know what "not useful at all" means to you. I'm actually meeting with the map developers tomorrow, because I have some feedback on how I think they'd be much more useful.

EricSuz said:
Thanks Brad' I was planning to do the ironbutt ride around Lake superior before CCR. The pictures and write ups are interesting but the map program is not useful at all.
Maybe I don't know how to use the map portion.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Brad suggest they change the default view of the Maps from Satellite to Map; Satellite view can be a bit overwhelming when your focus is the roads and not how green the area is. Also a bit of details on road condition, I'm not sure some of the smaller maps look like they be more suited to Dual purpose and less Touring rig friendly Maybe a ride summary of the route describing the rode conditions, typical speed, etc... Also suggest sections for Accommodations, Food, Repair, and Attractions be more prominent maybe on the main page, those links are hidden below the image on the Plan your ride page and can be completely missed, I assumed the only way to get to that information was the links on the maps until I back navigated from one.

Thanks again for sharing the link.

·
Registered
203 Posts
This is nice and the ride around the big lake is always good regardless of direction. I did not see Canadian Insurance Certificate listed in the ride checklist. While I have never had to produce it, I've always had it. Not sure if the regs have changed.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a good chat with the folks that run this website today. They were very interested in our feedback. I learned some things were the way they were, just because that's how the google plug-in works. For instance, I wanted distances on the turn-by-turn, but the plug-in doesn't provide that - even though I get it when create my own map. It was also interesting to find that the order of the suggested Accommodations, Food, etc. can't be controlled. We theorized it has something to do with a company's advertising program maybe. I think the person I spoke with thought I was crazy when I mentioned some of us wanted to ride the route non-stop. She concurred - you would need an iron butt to do it. :) I think this will continue to evolve but appreciate the passion they've put into building what has been done so far.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
fwkraft said:
This is nice and the ride around the big lake is always good regardless of direction. I did not see Canadian Insurance Certificate listed in the ride checklist. While I have never had to produce it, I've always had it. Not sure if the regs have changed.
Three of use rode around the north side of Lake Superior last year head to CCR Boise. We were asked for proof of motorcycle insurance at the Canadian imigration check point as well as our passport. Yes, you have to have a passport or a passport card to ride into Canada. No more free border crossings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts