BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In anticipation of an on coming snow storm, I rolled out the lift and moved the LT to the work shop from the garage. Also brought in a load of fire wood for the stove. Sure enough, the WX forecast was correct (1st photo).

My first question is the play or movement (in gear) of the rear wheel (3rd and 4th photos). Is this acceptable?

The next thing I did was flush the brake fluid and the clutch. I tried the vacuum method first with not good results probably due to my inexperience. I went back to this forum and read some more and finally found instructions for pre 2000. Wow, this is really simple on a 99. I did order SPEED BLEEDERS and the bag and tube (highly recommended). When I removed the left front bleeder I saw that the tip was badly corroded (last photo, bad quality). The fluid was real dark as well. The special fitting on the right was real difficult to remove. Used a heat gun and a vice grip as the wrench wouldn't swing far enough. I do not think that this fitting had ever been removed. No tool marks. Installed the speed bleeders and had at it. Success !

Next I tackled the clutch fluid. Again that special fitting, but this one was easier to remove and I replaced it with the speed bleeder. Again, fluid was real dark.

Lastly I tackled the rear brake. I really feel stupid now, I searched and searched for the fluid resevoir. The Clymer Manual leaves a lot to be desired. Finally removed the rear seat and wala, there it was ! The fluid here was clean and clear and the bleeders were very easy to remove. Installed the Speed Bleeders and flushed the system.

Next year if my feeble memory holds up, I should have an easy time flushing the 3 circuits. Next I am going to expose the shifter linkage, clean and inspect.

I would like to do the weep hole in the clutch slave but after watching John Z's video, I feel a bit intimidated. I am studying the procedure more in depth and getting/fabricating the necessary tools.

Thanks to all the folks on this forum for their write ups, videos, and good information.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Tackling the weep hole isn't real complicated just time consuming. If you have a couple of other LT experts in the area that are familiar with the process see if you can talk them into giving you a hand. Helping hands aren't needed but they sure can make installing a couple of the fasteners etc easier.

good luck

Roy

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
The only special tools needed are the 30mm socket and longer drill bit. I can send you mine on loan if you like.

dan martin

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the offer Dan, but I like to have the stuff on hand.

I do have a question though and maybe what I need is in the Clymer. Are there dimensions for cutting the opening in the 30 mm socket? I have a 12 mm hex socket, but need a 12mm long hex wrench, and yes the long drill bit. I have yet to run into any other LTs in the area where I live. Seems everybody around here has a Harley, but I'll put the word out that my shop and lift are available as well as beer and burgers :cool: That ought to generate some response :D

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Boatzo said:
I do have a question though and maybe what I need is in the Clymer. Are there dimensions for cutting the opening in the 30 mm socket? I have a 12 mm hex socket, but need a 12mm long hex wrench, and yes the long drill bit.
I don't have the dimensions handy. They were posted here years ago. If I was doing it, I would get a 3/4 drive 30mm socket and weld a 1/2" drive socket to it. Insert the 12mm hex key through the 3/4" drive hole and a 1/2" drive torque wrench at 90 degrees to the combined sockets will set the torque correctly.

dan

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dan,

I dont have access to a welder, but was looking at modifying the 30mm socket with a window for the hex key. I found some good info in the "search" feature. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Bill - that rotational play of the rear wheel is just about how ole Toad does when in gear. There is more distance measured out at the tire or rim edge than actually takes place within the FD or transmission gears.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Boatzo said:
Thanks for the offer Dan, but I like to have the stuff on hand.

I do have a question though and maybe what I need is in the Clymer. Are there dimensions for cutting the opening in the 30 mm socket? I have a 12 mm hex socket, but need a 12mm long hex wrench, and yes the long drill bit. I have yet to run into any other LTs in the area where I live. Seems everybody around here has a Harley, but I'll put the word out that my shop and lift are available as well as beer and burgers :cool: That ought to generate some response :D

Bill, when were you planning to accomplish the weep hole?

I work in DC and live in VA Beach. I usually always commute home on Fridays riding down 17, through Tappahannock enroute to the beach.

If you can wait until after the new year, I may be able to spend a Saturday helping out.

I would love ot learn how to replace the brake and clutch fluids.

I have an offset 30 MM wrench...no windows cut.

PM me if you would like some help.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
][/'.I agree with Dick. It seems like a lot of lash but there is definitely a fair amount of rotational free play. I might suggest you get a new steel tape. You do know that the newer models have numbers that start all the way at the beginning don't you? :histerica (Sometimes I make me laugh!)

As far as the weep hole goes I don't think you would have any problems doing the job. None of the steps are particularly difficult and the only precision part of the job is actually drilling the hole. A quick measurement or two and careful alignment of the bit when you drill the hole and you're just about home free.

I borrowed the 30 mm window socket and not sure if I would want to have one laying around. If I were to build one I would build the one with the plate welded on the side so I could use a T handle hex wrench to hold the inner bolt in place. Much easier than a regular hex wrench and easier than having to move and re-set the window socket.

Have fun!

Loren

Just found the thread with the offset socket design from cccpastorjack including pictures with arrows and everything else, 'cepting Alice

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30619&highlight=offset+30mm+drive

·
Registered
607 Posts
wa1200lt said:
I borrowed the 30 mm window socket and not sure if I would want to have one laying around. If I were to build one I would build the one with the plate welded on the side so I could use a T handle hex wrench to hold the inner bolt in place. Much easier than a regular hex wrench and easier than having to move and re-set the window socket.

Have fun!

Loren

Bill, this is the offset socket that I was referring to. I would use an allen and gear wrench since I don't have a T handle wrench.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First, to Glen, Yes I would be interested in a Saturday after the new year. We would have to study the bleeding procedure for your 05 as it is much more involved. I'll send you a PM.

Loren, thanks for that link and also Dan had a good suggestion earlier. I don't have a welder, but will look around for somebody that can do it. There aint a whole lot going on in this neck of the woods. BTW, I used the best rule I had, all the other ones only have the big marks showing :histerica

1 - 11 of 11 Posts