BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned three LTs since 1999 (99 with 46K, 02 with 25K, 05 with 24K). I was performing my 12K interval service this weekend and for the first time in all of these bikes and miles I found 3 intake valves tight (one at .004 and two at .005). I was actually very surprised when I came across this today, especially the one at .004. I know that it's somewhat inevitable, but 24K just seems early for them to be out of spec. I'll haul the bike over to the dealer next week and get them adjusted once I get the Ohlins back from their rebuild and reinstalled.

I'm not complaining; more of an observation than anything else.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
No big deal David!

I had one Intake out of adjustment (.005") and two right at the limit during my 24K Insp. Ended up adjusting all three and no adjustments have been made since. That is during the 36K, 48K & 60K Insp's. All fine with no adjustments required. But a few were getting right to the limit on my last check, so I anticipate the next session may entail another tweak!

John

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
messenger13 said:
That's because you let me ride it at CCR! :p
Cool, can I send you the bill??? :eek: :rotf:

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
DavidTaylor said:
I've owned three LTs since 1999 (99 with 46K, 02 with 25K, 05 with 24K). I was performing my 12K interval service this weekend and for the first time in all of these bikes and miles I found 3 intake valves tight (one at .004 and two at .005). I was actually very surprised when I came across this today, especially the one at .004.
What woz the O.A.T. when you measured them - I understand CA can be red hot, and you can't beat a bit of differential expansion between steel and ally, and, was the .004 one near the front of the engine ?

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Woolly said:
What woz the O.A.T. when you measured them - I understand CA can be red hot, and you can't beat a bit of differential expansion between steel and ally, and, was the .004 one near the front of the engine ?
Yes, CA can be red hot, in the middle of August in Death Valley! ;) I'm up in the San Francisco area (60 miles south, still not far from the bay), and it winter time where the temps have been in the upper 20s overnight and 46-50 during the day for highs over the past week. Outside air temp was 46 degrees F when I was checking them, and the motor had not been run in 3 days so it was dead cold. The .004 was the most forward intake valve on the #2 cylinder. The .005s were the intake valves on #3. # 1 and #4 were within spec; a .006 and .007 on each.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts