BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

New member and new owner of a 55 LT in the UK - the bike has the cradle for the navigator unit but I need to get hold of one - any ideas on this other than Ebay would be appreciated. Do the direction instructions come over the stereo speakers or do you need an intercom system ?

On the back, at one side the passenger can adjust volume, on the other side there is a three way toggle switch - I am guessing this is off / intercom / speaker - can anyone please confirm this.

Last question - is there a specific type of intercom required - I think I will go for at least the navigator 3 because that has bluetooth - I guess you have to have the intercom for this.

Sorry for so may questions

Thanks

Monty (Hull East Yorks)

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Man ! That's an old LT !

I didn't even know they made them in 55...:rotf: :histerica

You must have got a prototype....

On the back, at one side the passenger can adjust volume, on the other side there is a three way toggle switch - I am guessing this is off / intercom / speaker - can anyone please confirm this.
Sounds right.

Look in the sidecases or under the seat for the intercom.
There may be switches in the oddments box for the driver as well..

John

·
Registered
223 Posts
That three way toggle switch sounds like an Autcom part which is a meany to install; it integrates the input from the radio or other device into the Autocom core unit and then either/both puts the output through the speakers and the helmet headsets.

My hunch is that the PO pulled the core Autocom unit but didn't undertake the hassle of disconnecting the other wiring.

Larry Johnson

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bike has got connections for both the rider and the passenger for the intercom the same as my goldwing had - is this not standard ?

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Go this thread you get spme good info and answers to your question regarding mounts. "http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18161&highlight=garmin+2820." The Garmin 2820 is essentially the same as BMW NAV III but also has XM and MP3 and cost a lot less. I got a refurbished one from getfeetwet.com for about $400.

·
Registered
552 Posts
You may want to take some pictures. This will help us to help you. In the ornaments box is there anything other then a cassette or CD player.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Still think it's an Autocom rig--that's the characteristic position for the toggle switch.

If there are leads for the driver and passenger (five or seven pin grey females) then take off the seat and see if the core Autocom unit is mounted there somewhere. It will have a big label on it. You can find, somewhere in the Hall of Wisdom, a description for the way that they should be installed. BTW, it will have a third female lead which would be used to connect to a FRS/GMRS radio such as a Kenwood Freetalk

If it is an Autocom, their UK site has much of the documentation.

Larry Johnson

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ljjohns said:
Still think it's an Autocom rig--that's the characteristic position for the toggle switch.

If there are leads for the driver and passenger (five or seven pin grey females) then take off the seat and see if the core Autocom unit is mounted there somewhere. It will have a big label on it. You can find, somewhere in the Hall of Wisdom, a description for the way that they should be installed. BTW, it will have a third female lead which would be used to connect to a FRS/GMRS radio such as a Kenwood Freetalk

If it is an Autocom, their UK site has much of the documentation.

Larry Johnson
Thanks Larry

I took the back seat off and found the Autocom box - that explains it thanks.

Ian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts