BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a 2002 K1200LT...what do the two [additional] clear wind deflectors [the ones below the mirrors & the ones at the bottom of the windshield] do for managing air ? Anyone ever ridden without them ?

Also, anyone know where I might find a printed owners manual(s) ? Not a big deal...but would like to have if possible.

Thanks !

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
turn them around and go for a ride and you will get your answer ;)
sorry had to say it
they all have a purpose and that is to calm the air flow for the rider and pass, I only turn the lower when its really, really hot as I get a lot of buffeting, the upper ones direct the air over your hands. fairly simple to remove, turn the bottom ones while riding and you will feel it immeadiately

LC

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Ron02;

The deflectors you are referring to are an asset when the weather cools down.
so long as they are in the open position I suppose.............In the warmer weather......fold them in and get a little air flow to cool off the family jewels.............just saying...............

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
On a 2002 K1200LT...what do the two [additional] clear wind deflectors [the ones below the mirrors & the ones at the bottom of the windshield] do for managing air ? Anyone ever ridden without them ?

Also, anyone know where I might find a printed owners manual(s) ? Not a big deal...but would like to have if possible.

Thanks !
a Clymers shop manual from Amazon is here. Includes electrical wiring diagrams.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ron02;

The deflectors you are referring to are an asset when the weather cools down.
so long as they are in the open position I suppose.............In the warmer weather......fold them in and get a little air flow to cool off the family jewels.............just saying...............

No offense to ?? But I just don't care for the look of either...and I'm going with a "sport" w/shield. Guess I'll take'em off & see. I can always put them back on.

I don't ride in cold much anymore , & in humid Ohio summer...extra air is nice. My other motorcycle is an 1150 Roadster...so I'm sorta used to it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
No offense to ?? But I just don't care for the look of either...and I'm going with a "sport" w/shield. Guess I'll take'em off & see. I can always put them back on.

I don't ride in cold much anymore , & in humid Ohio summer...extra air is nice. My other motorcycle is an 1150 Roadster...so I'm sorta used to it.
I notice a lot of air coming up from lower deflectors being open. Almost an annoyance because it will actually cause some helmet buffeting from below. I didn't believe it was coming from there till I tipped them out at about a 45 degree angle and it stopped.

Everyone is different. Like others said, give it a shot and see what you like.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
They manage airflow real well with my Cee Bailey windshield. I will say this. In the fall .A few of us went for a ohio/Pennsylvania ride. I forgot to put my chapez on and my thighs were cold. I turned those wings in and it took the cold air off my legs and put it on my lower shins. And I had my riding boots on so that was OK until I stopped for gas where I could put my chapez on. Those lower wings work very well.

·
Registered
250 Posts
It's your bike so you are welcome to do whatever to it. I would like to see you ride more and try the wings during rain and cold. You can open them in summer and they help with the airflow. Just enjoy the bike and ride it often.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's your bike so you are welcome to do whatever to it. I would like to see you ride more and try the wings during rain and cold. You can open them in summer and they help with the airflow. Just enjoy the bike and ride it often.
I agree with the points you mention...I just think they look [silly] sorry...

So I'll likely mount my sport shield...and keep the deflectors for a good long ride. Then do same length ride without...to see / feel the difference . But likely they will come off.

I was just "tapping" the brain trust of experience here first.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Hi Ron... one of the times adjusting the lower front flaps can help is in a very strong cross-wind... by keeping one side closed to cut the wind (on the windward side) and folding back the other side, it can help change the effect of the airflow around the bike... I guess a bit like air movement over/under a plane wing.... and make the bike more stable. Really can be effective on long highway trips when the cross wind is quite heavy, helps reduce the effort to keep the big girl stable.
Just another thought/bit of experience.
cheers :wave

Reactions: Ted

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Hi Ron... one of the times adjusting the lower front flaps can help is in a very strong cross-wind... by keeping one side closed to cut the wind (on the windward side) and folding back the other side, it can help change the effect of the airflow around the bike... I guess a bit like air movement over/under a plane wing.... and make the bike more stable. Really can be effective on long highway trips when the cross wind is quite heavy, helps reduce the effort to keep the big girl stable.
Just another thought/bit of experience.
cheers :wave
Ron - for this reason alone I would not remove them. Please be advised that depending upon wind strength, at certain angles the LT cockpit becomes one big sail...the wind can move you unexpectedly and suddenly. I have been blown both across the center lane and to the shoulder on more than one occasion (I had a 2003). It's not fun.

Good luck!

·
Registered
250 Posts

Well, as a general rule most of us that ride BMWs could care less how the bike looks. We are more interested in comfort and performance. I used to ride Harleys so I understand the mindset of worrying about the looks, but try to get over that and ride it like you stole it. Hope you enjoy your LT because it is a wonderful ride.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, as a general rule most of us that ride BMWs could care less how the bike looks. We are more interested in comfort and performance. I used to ride Harleys so I understand the mindset of worrying about the looks, but try to get over that and ride it like you stole it. Hope you enjoy your LT because it is a wonderful ride.

LOL!...I don't "worry" about looks...so I'm sure there is no "mindset"to get over...I just don't care for the added on deflectors.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ron - for this reason alone I would not remove them. Please be advised that depending upon wind strength, at certain angles the LT cockpit becomes one big sail...the wind can move you unexpectedly and suddenly. I have been blown both across the center lane and to the shoulder on more than one occasion (I had a 2003). It's not fun.

Good luck!
So...were you blown around [with] the deflectors in place?...perhaps it's better without them ???

I have ridden in many & varying wind conditions...[even out running a Tornado]..so yes I know it can be a handful, and I appreciate the word of caution.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Sounds like your mind is made up. I put mine out at about 40 degrees F. Really helps on rides at that temp or below. If you don't ride when it's chilly or don't care, the question is moot. Let us know your experience after the fact. :bmw:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds like your mind is made up. I put mine out at about 40 degrees F. Really helps on rides at that temp or below. If you don't ride when it's chilly or don't care, the question is moot. Let us know your experience after the fact. :bmw:

Not "made-up" but pretty certain i'm going to try it anyway...and for sure i will report what I discover...and yes I will admit if it was a total screw-up & I was way wrong.

Have bigger fish to fry first though....doc said this morning that I need a new hip. No options..new hip. Because I am single & no family he strongly recommends a convalescent facility for two weeks after surgery..even says he is reluctant to do it otherwise.....Damn!

Sorry, off topic.

·
Registered
847 Posts
The LT might be the wrong bike for a guy with a new hip:bmw::bmw: just kidding hope it all goes well

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The LT might be the wrong bike for a guy with a new hip:bmw::bmw: just kidding hope it all goes well

Guess I'll find out :rolleyes:

To shorten a long story, I got the LT at an attractive price...and it is a project bike. I still have my [much lighter] Roadster to fall back on, but I've never owned an LT and [if the hip cooperates] I hope to try it for awhile.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Not "made-up" but pretty certain i'm going to try it anyway...and for sure i will report what I discover...and yes I will admit if it was a total screw-up & I was way wrong.

Have bigger fish to fry first though....doc said this morning that I need a new hip. No options..new hip. Because I am single & no family he strongly recommends a convalescent facility for two weeks after surgery..even says he is reluctant to do it otherwise.....Damn!

Sorry, off topic.
With your upcoming medical problems, I can see that these little wings are way on the back burner. Good luck with your hip replacement and hope for a speedy recovery. Keep us posted because we may rant and rave sometimes, but we do care about each other.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts