BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just read through the GT and GTL brochures picked up at the UK Bike Show yesterday.

Nice typo in the GT brochure. Says the engine is "just 560 millimetres across". Assume they mean centimetres.

Adaptive Headlight seems to rely on a gymbal-mounted mirror which deflects the beam as the bike leans. Did we ask for this, BMW? Seems like a toy waiting to go wrong. Seems optional on GT and standard on GTL. I say this only because the GTL brochure doesn't say "optional" when describing it, but the GT brochure does.

Brochures are ambiguous about what comes as standard with either bike. Traction Control and ESA do seem to be optional on both, though. I laughed at the comment that the GT was "designed to keep off the rain". They don't list an optional umbrella.

Both front mudguards (fenders) are the usual laughable things that will need an extender to keep the crap off that motor. A long one, too.

Height, etc of both are nearly identical. GTL is about 20kg heavier and a fraction longer. Dimensions are, however, described as without panners and topbox. Options listed include a "storage compartment for the topbox". Detail not specified. I didn't see any reference to a cup holder ;-)

Tyre spec is identical on both 120/70 and 190/55 ZR17's. 26.5 litre tank on GTL is 2.5 larget than GT. GT described as fractionally thirstier, but the difference is tiny.

Akrapovic silencer fitted to the bikes at the UK Show seems to be a "sports" optional extra. There is optional ground level lighting at least for the GTL, and a auxilliary headlight (a small spotlight like a PIAA mounted low down), at least for the GT.

Audio system optional on the GT. Additional brake light optional on GTL. Spec of the audio system not described. Nor is intercom.

Looks like lots will be interchangeable between the two - footpegs on GT can be upgraded to "comfort", which is presumably what is on the GTL as standard. GT lists "chrome bolt on parts" as an extra. Probably the pices that the GTL has fitted as stock. Sounds like an intermediary (GTS?) could be on the cards if the bikes sell well!

GT lists seat height as 75omm, with 780 high seat. That's pretty low. GTL is 810/830 with "800/780" listed as "low seat".

I don't know what "partially integral" ABS means, but both bikes have it.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Burgundybus said:
I don't know what "partially integral" ABS means, but both bikes have it.
Partially means that if you brake hard enough with the front brake, the rear will also be applied. If you brake with the pedal (rear) only, it will have no effect on the front brake. On the LT you have 'Voll integral ABS', which means that if you use either brake handle or pedal, both brakes front and rear will be applied.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I hope the engine is not 560cm across!! That would be pretty big (bigger that the Cat diesel in my motorhome).
560mm is 22 inches. I think they are correct.

·
Registered
577 Posts
IIRC 2.2cm to the inch. By my calculation 560cm is about 21 feet.

There will, no doubt be riders that just do not like these new rides from BMW. I for one just hate HD's and GW's in all forms and shapes. But then I have never rode either one. I have low intensity LED lights on my LT to be noticed by cagers, and a 3 volt LED flash light that will cast a beam over a 1/4 of a mile away. Being able to see into the corner is a safety device long over due, especially with the attack deer of central New York. My R80RT kept me pretty dry as long as I was moving and the LT as well.

Having only seen photos of the GT and GTL I will wait to see for my self how it fits my needs. I may have to wait a little while for the first purchaser to report on the reliability issues, but for the most part these of carry overs from Automotive use and have been tested on the race track and should hold up very well.

·
Registered
263 Posts
tobiwan said:
I for one just hate HD's and GW's in all forms and shapes. But then I have never rode either one.
:histerica

Thanks man, it's been a long day at work and I really needed a laugh.

·
Registered
38 Posts
tobiwan said:
IIRC 2.2cm to the inch. By my calculation 560cm is about 21 feet.

Conversion is 2.54cm to the inch, so it is more like 18 feet. :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Burgundy, a lot of what you said is wrong.

Burgundybus said:
Nice typo in the GT brochure. Says the engine is "just 560 millimetres across". Assume they mean centimetres.
Nope. 560 mm is 22" as has been mentioned already.

Adaptive Headlight seems to rely on a gymbal-mounted mirror which deflects the beam as the bike leans. Did we ask for this, BMW? Seems like a toy waiting to go wrong. Seems optional on GT and standard on GTL. I say this only because the GTL brochure doesn't say "optional" when describing it, but the GT brochure does.
It's optional on both bikes and it's extremely useful. My car has the same thing (obviously simpler to do on a car though) and it's great.

Brochures are ambiguous about what comes as standard with either bike. Traction Control and ESA do seem to be optional on both, though. I laughed at the comment that the GT was "designed to keep off the rain". They don't list an optional umbrella.
All modern tourers are designed to keep off the rain through fairings and windshields.

GT lists seat height as 75omm, with 780 high seat. That's pretty low. GTL is 810/830 with "800/780" listed as "low seat".
This is backwards. The GT comes with the 810/830 seat and the GTL comes with the 750mm single-piece seat, but there are four seat choices and all seats work with both bikes.

·
Registered
268 Posts
tobiwan said:
There will, no doubt be riders that just do not like these new rides from BMW. I for one just hate HD's and GW's in all forms and shapes. But then I have never rode either one. .
It seems a lot of K1200LT owners don't like the new K1600's. I don't think current K-LT owners is the target group for this.. "if they like it, good but if they don't, we're not going after them."... That's how I'm reading this.. like the average age of a Buick driver is 68. Look at Buick now.. they're not trying to hold on to those drivers.

I've ridden all manners of HD tourers and the GL1800. I hated the Ultra Classics.. the engine is just a dog at highway speeds.. there's nothing in the top end.. it's all low end torque, which is fine around town.. and cornering clearance for my riding style is downright dangerous. I was scraping floor boards pulling out of the dealer parking lot. GW has a lovely engine, but I just didn't like the way it rode overall.. still, I'd get that over an HD any day.

Burgundybus said:
I've just read through the GT and GTL brochures picked up at the UK Bike Show yesterday.

Adaptive Headlight seems to rely on a gymbal-mounted mirror which deflects the beam as the bike leans. Did we ask for this, BMW? Seems like a toy waiting to go wrong. Seems optional on GT and standard on GTL. I say this only because the GTL brochure doesn't say "optional" when describing it, but the GT brochure does..
It's optional on both bikes, part of the safety package: adaptive headlight, dynamic traction control and tyre pressure monitors.

All accessories are available for both bikes.. Akrapovic silencers, LED fog lamps, engine guards etc...

The high mounted stop light on the top case, is also an optional accessory. The top case is already wired for it.

Can't wait to see them next weekend.

·
Registered
205 Posts
fluffy said:

It's optional on both bikes, part of the safety package: adaptive headlight, dynamic traction control and tyre pressure monitors.......
Are those options stand alone as well, or do you have to get the entire package to get any of them?

·
Registered
268 Posts
jjscsix said:
Are those options stand alone as well, or do you have to get the entire package to get any of them?

Options vary from market to market. It depends on BMW USA will want to configure it for this market. Given the slumping US$, you can be sure that the safety package will include all 3. The more options they can sell you, the more they can pad the bottom line. We'll see.

for the GTL, these are the options in Europe:

Safety package: Tyre pressure monitor, xenon adaptive headlight, dynamic traction control with 3 modes.

Other options:
Central locking with Alarm
Alarm
ESA II
lower seat / higher seat

These are the factory options, the rest are accessories that can be added later, such as LED foglights, which by the way, has a switch next to the 4 way flasher button on the left switch gear, so no doubt the wiring harness for it is there too, engine guards, liners for the panniers and top case, Akra pipes, etc..

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CGameProgrammer said:
Burgundy, a lot of what you said is wrong.

Nope. 560 mm is 22" as has been mentioned already.

It's optional on both bikes and it's extremely useful. My car has the same thing (obviously simpler to do on a car though) and it's great.

All modern tourers are designed to keep off the rain through fairings and windshields.

This is backwards. The GT comes with the 810/830 seat and the GTL comes with the 750mm single-piece seat, but there are four seat choices and all seats work with both bikes.
It had been a long night, and I'd ridden 200 miles at -2C the previous evening, and 200 miles at -3 the day before. My faculties had clearly become frostnipped.

I read it as 56mm of course! Apologies to all.

Same goes for the transposed seat heights. Gone boggle-eyed reading the glossies by then.

·
Registered
86 Posts
tobiwan said:
I for one just hate HD's and GW's in all forms and shapes. But then I have never rode either one....
Yeah, I have that problem with truffles. Just knowing that are French means I must hate them even though I never tried one. :D

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Burgundybus said:
My two cents...

No, we didn't "ask" for it ... but who WOULDN'T want it?! Are you kidding me??? :confused: Have you seen the videos? Or more importantly, have you not taken a curve at night on a dark road and been somewhat concerned about the darkened blind-spots you experience as the bike leans? I know I have!

Adaptive Headlights - Count me IN!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I say, what took BMW so long?

Tucker had them in 1948. :wave

·
Registered
807 Posts
six cylinder BMWs

Thanks for the insights about the new six cylinder BMWs. I am looking forward to seeing them. I enjoyed the LT then the GT and I am considering doing the new six cylinder version. Interesting to see the pricing strategy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts