BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Unfortunately this is in German. I could not find anything in english. The story is that with modern oil under normal conditions there is no need to change the oil ever, just the filter. They have examples of engines running several hundred thousands of miles without oil changes and no problems. This is from a national TV station with no product selling agenda.

I am aware of discussions at a previous employer that extended the interval to 30k with a filter change only at 15k. After a while they went back to 15k with no technical explanation.

Personally on every vehicle I have owned in the last 20 years, I have changed the oil and filter once a year regardless of milage. The inside of the engine on my LT looked sparkling clean after 11 years. I used several different brands of oil along the way. Mainly Castrol semi synthetic and Mobil 1.

http://www.gaskrank.tv/tv/werkstatt/oelwechsel-ueberfluessig-und-a-2481.htm

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Yeah but you gotta be real quick to change the LT filter without changing the oil Wolfgang, so I think I'll continue to do both! :)

John

·
Registered
498 Posts
You are correct, oil does not wear out, it just gets too many impurities in it to make it beneficial. Unfortunately, nobody sells an oil filter that filters out the smallest of microns to accomplish this task.
On the brighter side, a discussion about oil....... :corn:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I want to see someone change a filter on an LT without changing the oil :rotf: . I suppose you could strain the old oil through a coffee filter and pour it back in :confused: For the hassel and the price of 4 qts of oil, I'll keep changing oil MHO :bmw:

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Boatzo said:
I want to see someone change a filter on an LT without changing the oil :rotf: . I suppose you could strain the old oil through a coffee filter and pour it back in :confused: For the hassel and the price of 4 qts of oil, I'll keep changing oil MHO :bmw:
Lay it down, she likes to nap, and then change the filter.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Rocketsled said:
But only on the right side...otherwise, she'll smoke on startup!
I was wondering if you could just hang the LT upside down. That way the oil in the filter would stay in the pan and you wouldn't have to pour it back in at the fill hole which is always at the risk of spilling a little. It would also eliminate the need to crawl around on the shop floor to get to the job.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Rocketsled said:
But only on the right side...otherwise, she'll smoke on startup!
Now THAT'S using the old melon! :rotf:

·
Registered
876 Posts
Another benefit of hanging the bike upside down, if you are one of those K&N air filter owners, the oil will run up (down) through the crankcase vent hose into the inlet plenum and eventually into the air filter where it will auto re-oil it, and that too can only be a good thing ! Sometimes I scare myself !

·
Registered
498 Posts
K100Dennis said:
Another benefit of hanging the bike upside down, if you are one of those K&N air filter owners, the oil will run up (down) through the crankcase vent hose into the inlet plenum and eventually into the air filter where it will auto re-oil it, and that too can only be a good thing ! Sometimes I scare myself !
BAM! There's another thinker!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Additionally my understanding is the many important additives will dilute and or leave after time...

·
Registered
681 Posts
I run a bypass system (2 micron) in my truck and sample the oil every 20k. So far they have not recommened changing the oil yet. My last change I left in there for 40k, changed the oil and filters, sent in a sample and was told I didnt need to change it. My last sample showed that I am starting to show oxidiation in the oil but not critical yet.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
14wntr said:
I run a bypass system (2 micron) in my truck and sample the oil every 20k. So far they have not recommened changing the oil yet. My last change I left in there for 40k, changed the oil and filters, sent in a sample and was told I didnt need to change it. My last sample showed that I am starting to show oxidiation in the oil but not critical yet.
I cringe every time I see an ad recommending 3k oil changes, or hear friends bragging that they change their oil every 3K. That was a good idea 20+ years ago. No need to change more often than the factory recommendation, and nothing bad happens if you go a little over.

·
Registered
498 Posts
14wntr said:
Can you send me a link to the bypass system that you use for your truck? I would love to try it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts