BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

A dead RT and don't know where to look..

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Ponch 
#1 ·
My brother was riding up to Colorado to meet up with me on my trip back form the east coast. Riding a 1997 R1100rt with less than 30k miles on it.

He was in "some heavy rain" and stopped to let it pass.

After the rain stopped he starting running again and all is fine for a half hour or so.

Running on the flats with a cross wind around 80 mph.

"The rpms went through the roof" is what he said. Like the throttle was held steady and the clutch was pulled in. Lasted a second or two till he let go of the grip.

Tried to get back on the gas and it did it again. ( at this point I was thinking he lost the clutch) When he pulled in the clutch the engine died. He said he tried to bump start it while he was still moving and the engine would turning over so I am assuming the clutch is OK.

Will crank but won't hit. Got all the lights on the dash.

The first thing I noticed when I found him on the corner was the oil on the top of the head by the filler cap. Cap leaks a little and the sight glass is empty. No oil on the back of the bike around the exhaust pipe like a piston let go or the rings collapsed.

He is going to bring it by the shop today for me to look at. Figure I will add some oil and start at the beginning. Pull the plugs and check for spark, compression test, and is the fuel pump running.

If it gets in to the electronics I will be back here for sure.

Anyone have this happen?

Any ideas what to check beyond the basics?

HELP!!!!

See less See more
#3 ·
Didn't think anyone was watching...

Yes, the bike had no spark.

The aftermarket fuse panel that Go Az installed was without a cover. It is screwed flat to the top of the fuse block next to the air cleaner. (at least I think that's whats under there).

When he got in the heavy rain the fuse block filled with water and shorted out.

I disconnected the trigger wire for the block and had spark again.

Because of the location and how the wires connect I don't think the cover will work on the block. Think it is too tall and the seat bottom with hit. Told him to either hook the lights to the battery with the inline fuse that is still inline (yes, the power lead for the lights has a inline fuse off the aftermarket fuse block) or get a better fuse block and I will mount it correctly.

He dropped the bike getting it off the trailer and broke the right foot peg so I am still waiting on that to show up. Then it can go home.....

#5 · (Edited)
The high RPMs sounds like a broken drive train. Can you push the bike in gear without pulling the clutch? If so, then something is broken such as a shaft joint or output shaft. Uncontrolled RPMs simply means that either the clutch is gone completely (unusual) or a component is broken. My guess is that the output splines have sheared on the back of the engine and you will need to pull the transmission to fix it. That is a problem with the earlier RTs. It is also possible that the relief port in the clutch master cylinder has plugged and the vibration at 80 MPH caused the clutch to activate on its own. That's a simply fix. Just pull the cover and clear the relief port with a toothpick or other similar object.

#7 ·
Ponch said:
There are weather resistant fuse blocks. Why they wouldn't have used one is beyond me. If the fuse block doesn't have anything connected to it that is necessary, then just disconnect it and ride home.
Didn't know it was the problem at the time. He had no tools and by the time I found him it was raining again. Found the problem at the shop once we got him home .

#8 ·
deanwoolsey said:
The high RPMs sounds like a broken drive train. Can you push the bike in gear without pulling the clutch? If so, then something is broken such as a shaft joint or output shaft. Uncontrolled RPMs simply means that either the clutch is gone completely (unusual) or a component is broken. My guess is that the output splines have sheared on the back of the engine and you will need to pull the transmission to fix it. That is a problem with the earlier RTs. It is also possible that the relief port in the clutch master cylinder has plugged and the vibration at 80 MPH caused the clutch to activate on its own. That's a simply fix. Just pull the cover and clear the relief port with a toothpick or other similar object.
Haven't tried dot ride it yet. Still waiting on the replacement coho's peg. But I will go check on that after I am done here.

#9 ·
beech said:
Did it actually rev up or was it an electrical gremlin bumping the tachometer? It did mess with the ignition.
Not sure. He said it did but he's not a mechanic so I will have to road text to make sure.

More info when I have some.

Thanks guys, glad to see someone wanting to help...

#12 ·
Ponch said:
May be take it to motoghost next time? I've heard they are good. I don't know anything about Go AZ.
Have to get up there and meet them. Heard they are pretty good and affordable.

Took the bike for a 10 mile ride today. No problems that I could find. Guess it was just the fuse block shorting out because it was full of water..

Go figure.......

#13 ·
kevincaron said:
Have to get up there and meet them. Heard they are pretty good and affordable.

Took the bike for a 10 mile ride today. No problems that I could find. Guess it was just the fuse block shorting out because it was full of water..

Go figure.......
I have to get up there too. I hate riding when it gets much over 100.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.