BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some Mothers or Meguires wheel cleaner. when I got it home and read the fine print it says "DO NOT USE ON MOTORCYCLES". Well what do youse guys use to clean the rims? Also while looking at my dirty rims I noticed the the front axle has 2 holes that look like some pin should be in there. Should there be a pin of some sort there?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I've wondered about that wheel cleaner disclaimer, too. I have assumed they make that statement because those products may slick up a tire and they are afraid of liability issues. You gotta know that their legal department has approved every word on that can.

If you're asking about the hole through the axle that is visible on the left side as it protrudes from the fork - no, there is no pin. It's is there to allow you to twist the axle and facilitate removal.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I don't know the answer to the cleaning solution question, but I wonder if is related to the risk of getting gunk on the tread of the tire causing the tire to be seriously slippery? Just a thought. I generally use Auto Armor brand wheel cleaners but have never checked the cautions. Maybe I should see if 'not to be used on motorcycles' is stated.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks Tips those are the holes. The cleaner is for rims. I don't know if the warning is for the finish on the rims or for slicking up the rubber...

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
I use spring green. biodegradeable if that makes a difference to you, and a concentrated gallon of the stuff is less than one can of the automotive stuff and makes like 5 gallons of spray. Cuts the dirt immediately, good for everything else.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I contacted Eagle One and recived this responce.

Johnny, thank you for contacting Eagle One Product Support with your question about our Eagle One A2Z All Wheel & Tire Cleaner. Motorcycles rims are not, triple plated, true chrome. They use "show chrome." True chrome has the ability to withstand the weight of a heavy vehicle, show chrome does not. Motorcycle rims have the potential to flake because of the show chrome.

From this, I think our BMW factory painted wheels are OK.

also it could mean. If you have a crap aftermarket wheel and the chrome or paint peals off don't call me.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Do not do it , rusted all the bolts around front wheel and brake disc , caliper and axle clamp bolt sezed , had to drill out . I used several brands Eagle I , Maguires and ?
They took the plating off . Do not know if they were zink or cad of some sort .
It was a 99LT.

Bob g

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,916 Posts
Soap and water with a little bit of GooGone for the tough stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts