BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing a new slave and clutch. 1st time I've done it on the LT.

When ordering parts, how much of the clutch should I order? Just the clutch plate itself, or spacers as well? And, how difficult is it to replace the rear main seal at the same time?

I've got the bike up on Shealey's jack already. Should have the gearbox off by tomorrow. Had to acquire some pretty hefty tools to get the job done.

Thanks,

Paul in Houston

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
pwmac2005 said:
I am installing a new slave and clutch. 1st time I've done it on the LT.

When ordering parts, how much of the clutch should I order? Just the clutch plate itself, or spacers as well? And, how difficult is it to replace the rear main seal at the same time?

I've got the bike up on Shealey's jack already. Should have the gearbox off by tomorrow. Had to acquire some pretty hefty tools to get the job done.

Thanks,

Paul in Houston
Until you get the clutch out you cannot tell if the pressure plate and cover plate have suffered any heat damage or scoring. I would wait to get the parts if you want to save money, because if they are not damaged all you need is the clutch friction plate itself. There is no need at all to replace the spacer ring, or the diaghphragm spring.

Also, get new clutch cover plate bolts and lock washers. They should not be re-used.

The main seal is not difficult, except getting the new one without distorting it. You MUST replace the O ring on the engine output shaft, as that is more likely to leak than the seal itself. Also, get the plastic thrust washer, as it is very easy to break after it has been in the engine for some time. Ask me how I know that! :D

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
mtrevelino said:
I would order what is on this list.
That would certainly cover just about anything possibly needed, but more than likely items 2, 5, 6, and 8 will not be needed, can save a lot of money if they are OK.

Item 20 is an exhaust manifold stud, most likely not needed, but cheap enough to get a couple in case one breaks.

I would also use BMW synthetic 75/140 gear oil to refil the tranny.

What is item 24, repair kit? I could not find it in ETK.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
You have a good eye David! Part 24 may have been a extra (for the dealer) At the following site http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do?part=11009062736&showus=on&showeur=&details=1 I found the following:

Part 11009062736 (REPAIR KIT SEAL RINGS) was found on the following vehicles:

K55 K100 N/A, (0511) : ENGINE
K55 K100LT N/A, (0516) : ENGINE
K55 K100RS N/A, (0513) : ENGINE
K55 K100RT N/A, (0514) : ENGINE
K59 K75 /2 N/A, (0571) : ENGINE
K59 K75C N/A, (0574) : ENGINE
K59 K75RT N/A, (0573) : ENGINE
K59 K75S N/A, (0572) : ENGINE
K63 K1 N/A, (0535) : ENGINE
K63 K100RS N/A, (0533) : ENGINE
K64 K1100LT N/A, (0536) : ENGINE