BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both my buddy and I have the CENTECH fuse panels ( his is on a GS....mine on the LT).

Both of us ran some of the wiring UNDER the board.......

A few weeks ago......while standing outside talking to his wife on his cell phone and admiring the fog rolling thru his property and around the tree tops.......he noticed a small tendril moving past his bike (wait......what?? moving past his bike!!!???) " That's not smoke" he says....."my bike is on fire, honey.....I gotta go".

Well, to make a long story short.......on the bottom of the mounting board are several protrusions where the bits and pieces have been soldered......leaving a "not smooth at all" surface. And it was one of those "points" that eventually wore a hole thru a wire and shorted out the system and blew the main fuse on the hot lead to the board........

Today, I rerouted all the wires that I ran under the board just like he had done........I will be safe.......now.

So......if you're doing a CENTECH fuse board.......DO NOT run any of the wires UNDER it..........and don't forget to put an in-line fuse on the hot lead............

All for now..............over and out.

Pat

·
Registered
426 Posts
Those soder points under can also short out in general. I painted mine with liquid electrical tape and then zip tied a piece of rubber to the bottom to insulate it further. Not a real good design.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I noticed that with mine I ground down the the solder points and used a piece of heavy electrical tape on the bottom. Not the best quality control I've ever seen for a product like that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow, Pat. Thanks for the timely info!! I am just contemplating installing a APC-2 on my LT (2001). What locations on the bike did you consider and which one did you settle on? I was thinking about a location under the right side cover for the tank. Mostly will power auxiliary lights if that helps. Thanks. :wave

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Yup. That's why mine has a 1/8" plastic pad under it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts