BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Usually I come to this site to read some good stories or to find good advise at the times when I had problems like brake disk and radio. This time is different, I have something to share.
last Thursday I vent with four of my riding buddies for a four days ride in Smokey Mountains. Got there on Friday morning, and next two days Blast , til about 5.30PM on Saturday. I was riding on Cherohala Skyway on My LT about 10 min. before rest of the group so I do not have to run after them to catch up, i like to take My time.
At first moment I noticed black bundle to say about 100-120 feet on left side, and next moment that bundle is running towards me on the angle fast, very fast, Black Bear can run fast I can tell now first hand. I did not have brake or run to side or any other option, i pressed on throttle and then bum, then bum again fight to gain control of bike and stay up, did it.
I did not fall or stop for another couple of miles, finally I stop on picnic area, and that is where reality hit me, Took me good hour to get together, and another two to get back to cabin with my friends .When they show up at that picnic area at first they could not believe, till they start puling black hairs from broken tuperweare .
Conclusion: I was able to avoid direct front hit. Bear hit the side of front wheel and than got brushed with fairing, and hit again with tour bag. By My opinion speed and pure size of the LT saved me from falling off the bike, and don't even want to think what else.
LT is going to Chicago BMW on Saturday for some TLC. :bmw:

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Glad that bear wasn't Urlacher... Good on ya for staying upright!

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Glad you stayed up. The same thing happened to me with deer this month. That heavy LT is hard to knock over and boy am I glad................. :D

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Greaaaaaat. One more thing to watch out for on the highway.

Thanks for the warning, and glad to hear it turned out OK for you.

·
Registered
303 Posts
We had 1 run off of a hill side last year. Probably 25 yrds in front of the bike that's after I braked. I spotted the booger because some of the woods had caught fire and that got my attention. Also seen some other bears that trip. Have made many trips to the Smokey's and never seen a bear. The locals said there are a lot of 2 and 3yr old bears and there just like out of control teenagers. Glad you weren't hurt.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Wow, kewl you weren't s snack pack. Congrats on the being stable vertical kinda guy....

Now what you need to do is get a clear pill bottle and put the bear hairs in it and hang it from the bike somewhere... That way it's a warning.... Maybe put a bear sillouette holding a picnic basket with a big X across it.. :D like war veterans with the kill silhouettes on the side of the plane..
Seriously you did well man....
Now make the story to pass on :dance:

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
haughty said:
... Maybe put a bear sillouette holding a picnic basket with a big X across it.. :D like war veterans with the kill silhouettes on the side of the plane.
Aerostich makes these. I see a bear sticker on there, so he's good to go!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Update

Insurance give me estimate today on repair and I was very satisfied .
Satisfied to the point that I used that money + little extra to purchase another 2005 LT from the dealer , same color mint shape and only 4900 miles on odometer. Soo now there is two :D :D, only problem with this situation is if my bride of past twenty years walks in bike garage. Ah will think of something by then :rolleyes: .
I decided to fix the Bear survivor My self , they did not found any major problems. I only have to replace broken tupperware and left touring bag, I can take my time on ebay no hurry now.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Glad it's worked out. Couple of years ago we were west of Thunder Bay on 11- Mom's Highway headed to Ft. Frances. Saw the bear coming up out of the bush and got stopped. We almost always see bear in northern ON, never get pictures. With LT stopped, I reach for camera (dumb) the bear makes move to charge from maybe 120'. She looks back and two cubs are behind her and they take off. We talk about it often and think we'd of been lunch. I'd shifted to N when grabbing the camera and probably the only chance would have been straight at her and hope for the best.. With gravel shoulder & not much road, no way to turn around. Happened really fast, but seemed like Slow MO.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bear survivor is back on road ( weather permitting )

I used last couple of days to put together all of the parts i got from e-bay, beemerboneyard and Chicago BMW, for cost of around $700 + $200. for painting .
That was a first time I worked on bike by my self :), everything come out very good at the end, :dance: Included some pics before and after

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts