BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some speculation that the LT in its current configuration will use the new 12S/R engine and shed [lots] of weight.

The question that comes to my immediate mind is what will a lighter LT do better? Some obvious benefits may be fuel economy, acceleration, maybe handling, etc. etc.

But, I keep wondering if a lighter LT is no longer the smooth, luxurious ride which we have become accustomed to and BMW loses a market segment.

Everytime if DO NOT ride the LT for awhile I always think it's going to be the bike that goes from the stable . . . AND every time I ride it I regret even thinking that!

I am aware of at least one member of this group that has purchased another bike to limit miles put on his LT . . . perhaps to preserve it for a longer period time and when the LT in its current configuration is no longer available.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
In the world of automotive and motorcycle engineering there always seems to be pressure to change just for the sake of change. I have similar concerns that market pressure will dictate the ultimate fate of our beloved LT. I too love my bike just the way it is and hope that future flavors will maintain the same qualities, but I am not optimistic. Now if I was running BMW and felt the LT market was not strong I would look at what I am not doing to promote an exceptional bike, i.e. improve customer support, fix the rear bearing problems as well as all the other things that owners fuss about, windshield, headlights, those sort of things and then I would market the hell out of it. I can't remember ever seeing a TV ad for BMW motorcycles. I don't see Honda planning to deep six the Gold Wing anytime soon. If BMW downsizes the LT to yet another sport touring bike then there is only one option for the luxury touring minded.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I don't think that if you make a bike lighter you would have to sacrifice ride quality. This could be easily addressed through springs and shocks. I'm sure when the next generation comes out it'll be a great bike. The same concerns where made last year about replacing the 1150Rt with the new 1200Rt. You would have thought that BMW wouldn't sell one of the new 1200's if you would have listen to everything that people where saying about them on various forums. My dealer is selling them about as fast as their coming in. I'd like see better lighting (something like my clc had) and a 12000 mile maintenance service that won't break the bank. Outside of those two things I'm very pleased with my 05. Anything beyond that would be a major plus for me in the next generation, until then I'm ridding the hell out of mine.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you are dead-on correct. And while I don't do it (forbid the view) one can literally ride the LT in a bathing suit in complete comfort, warm weather permitting. . . to include wind management, seat ergonomics, etc. It will indeed be sad if the LT in its current configuration is changed for change sake.

·
Registered
161 Posts
docwagner said:
If BMW downsizes the LT to yet another sport touring bike then there is only one option for the luxury touring minded.

I realize they are cruiser based, but the Harley Ultra Glide and the Yamaha RSV are luxury touring machines also.

·
Registered
538 Posts
One thing most of us agree on is the LT is a great bike. So, what if it was 100lbs lighter, 50 more horses.....It will be a better ride. I can't see them changing the overall look of the bike that much. Now, what needs to be ADRESSED is the rear drive and a few of the other problems that continue to plague the LT. Let's see if they do that.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While not necessarily pertinent to the thread, your signature line of [If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans] reminded me of a bumper sticker I saw recently: KEEP USING MY NAME IN VAIN AND I WILL MAKE RUSH-HOUR LONGER!

·
Registered
21 Posts
the less the bike weighs the more the tires can carry

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As is the more touring oriented Road Glide with its fixed fairing.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
jpalamaro said:
The question that comes to my immediate mind is what will a lighter LT do better? Some obvious benefits may be fuel economy, acceleration, maybe handling, etc. etc...
Assuming BMW maintains handling, etc. at least as good as the current model (which the latest releases of the RT and GS suggest they will), 100-200lbs lighter would:
- For the same load, be quicker and more responsive to both the throttle AND brakes (i.e., have a shorter braking distance)
- Be easier to handle at low (e.g., parking lot) speeds, which has been one of its biggest drawbacks for many potential buyers
- Have a higher load capacity (you can make that extra trip through the buffet line!) ;)

I'm sure part of the LT's "smooth" highway ride is due to its weight, but I don't think it NEEDS to be heavy to handle and ride well. I love the LT as it is now, but I don't really see ANY downside to having it drop a few pounds and gain a few horses (again, assuming BMW addresses key issues).

BTW, for those of us who now have two or more bikes, one of which is smaller/lighter for "around town" use, a far lighter, far quicker LT might really might prove to be the "ideal" all-around street bike. I don't think the BMW design folks would be off-track at all; I see the market of potential LT buyers expanding significantly for an LT like that.

Personally, I love and plan to keep Salsa for another couple of years, but I'm afraid she'll be on the auction block (and probably so will my Aprilia!) if/when this new rumored LT becomes a reality...

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Logon to the new K-BIKES.COM which is more or less dedicated to the new(er) K bikes such as the K12S/R. The bike that all are awaiting is the 12GT replacement . . . adjustable windscreen, heated grips, cruise, larger tank, more upright seating, and all of the farkles! But, a big but, will it just be a GT replacement OR will it suffice as a true long distance tourer???

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
i'm getting a real belly laugh out of this thread.

face it, gents, our beloved LT is a PIG. that it handles as well as it does is amazing. shed the bike of 100 or more lbs and the handling will only be that much better.

ask anyone who has recently bought an R1200RT if that bike suffers because of weight loss.

LOL!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Beloved LT

If the LT is a beloved "PIG", She is our Beloved "PIG". I have also a Road King, and to call that a "Touring Bike" is an understatement. The 1200 protects you from the elements, keeps your hands warm, Keeps your "butt" warm, handles Great, Has power, has a great sound system, Looks like a rocket, has very nice detail to it, good lines, plenty of storage, good passenger seating accommodations, Rodes great!. good on gas, great on long trips, good on short trips, I enjoy my bike very much, one very happy customer. Thanks BMW

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Hakuna Matata

Wouldn't bother me if the LT was 100 pounds lighter. :cool: When I look at the R1200RT, I don't see much to worry about with respect to basic touring design at BMW. What would make them happier than to have all 8000 of us "want-must have" the new generation LT? They designed the LT for the North American market and will continue to do so in my humble opinion. I think we will all get a pretty good laugh at this thread in about 18 months when the first photos start to appear and then we'll all shed a tear when we see what happens to the resale value of our current models much like the R1150RT today. :eek:

·
Registered
438 Posts
"The 1200 protects you from the elements, keeps your hands warm, Keeps your "butt" warm, handles Great, Has power, has a great sound system, Looks like a rocket, has very nice detail to it, good lines, plenty of storage, good passenger seating accommodations, Rides great!. good on gas, great on long trips, good on short trips, I enjoy my bike very much, one very happy customer."

I feel very much the same with one "little" exception....I'm always wondering WHEN my rear drive will fail....not IF. I have never owned another M/C where a known failure item was always on my mind every ride I take.

Perception vs Reality.....yep, I'll admit it so. I COULD be one of the lucky 96% plus LT owners that will not have a premature R/D failure....but............

regards

·
Registered
408 Posts
I like to ride without without the rear box,less weight and the bike handles much better at slow speeds. I see no noticeable change in the comfort of the bike.

I hope on future bikes BMW loses weght and drops the motot lower and a little more forward losing the high center of gravity. My 2 cents....

·
Registered
807 Posts
next gen lt

It's coming. It will have more carbon, lower cd, more power, lower cg, and blue tooth.

·
Registered
710 Posts
One way to remove two hundred pounds without changing the LT much is to take off the rider and install a remote control. :)

Better performance, better mileage and you can sit at home in the Lazy-Boy tossing back the brewskys and chomping on popcorn. A lot less road rash that way too. :D

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have ridden an R1200LT and own an R1200GS and neither holds a candle to the quality of ride of the LT. And I am not a fickle owner . . . would have traded the LT in a heartbeat if I thought it a better touring bike. IMO, it's not. The LT creature comforts and quality of ride far surpass the RT and the GS. Of course the GS fills a special niche, but the LT continues to be the premier touring motorcycle.

But that was not the issue . . . would a 600 lb LT be a better touring bike . . . depends. Although at the surface level I would have to agree with you . . . shedding 200 lbs can't be all bad!

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
BMW did a real bang up job on the new 1200 R series less weight more HP. They listened to the owners. I think they will with the LT.

The LT will be the last of the line of this latest generation of major improvements. Look at their history of improvements over the years. Some very slow to say the least. The LT should be the last on the list to be improved or redesigned.

I do not think they will alienate the existing LT'ers with a new design. At least not like the Airhead crowd felt when BMW went to the oil head design.

I think It will be lighter 50 to 75 lbs at the most, and 15 to 20% hp gain from what ever is being used at the time the new one comes out. I do not think the HP will come from cubic inches but through technology. If they use additional displacement it will only be 50 or 75 cc at the most. It will most likely have a different front suspension not the Telelever and it will be a adjustable suspension like on the new K1200S bike. Cosmetics will be more like the new RT's It should also have better storage than on the LT. Transmission 6 speed, and smothe as silk.

Just my guess based upon what they have done the past 10 years or so.

Either way I will not buy the first years model till its proven. I prefer the cutting edge of technology not the bleeding edge.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts