BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,i have a 99 lt with the seat on its lowest setting.I have never had any trouble with seat height despite my short legs. I rode a 05 bike yesterday firstly it seemed to lean a lot further over on the side stand than my 99,secondly it actually seemed higher. I thought the newer bike was supposed to actually be lower than the old one. This is strange, putting one foot down was dead easy as the seat seemed narrower,but two feet down harder as the new seat was higher as in more padded. I will explain the 99 seat is just flat and smooth,and the 05 seat had like raised stitching and separate panels. I dont think i would bother but has anyone tried that seat lowering mod,where you grind certain bits and pieces off. I know that doesnt sound technical but the article is not in front of me.I think that mod was for a early one,the seat underneath is also different from the 99 to the 05 on,or so it seems. Gentleman your opinion please.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
The stiching and separate panels on the 05 seat indicate that you have the so-called "comfort" seat. As you noticed the seat has more padding, hence is a little higher, however the foam is softer and some complain that it provides less support, which is more noticeable on longer rides.
You are also correct that the 05 leans further on the side stand than on previous models. To the point that my wife freaks out when we park and asked me to use the hydraulic center on our 05 stand instead. It was no so on my 99 and my 03.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I had an 02 and now an 05.

My 2005 has the stitching on the seat and it is TOO soft.

I can flatfoot both feet on the 2005. I could not on my earlier LT.

I also have added Hyperpros set to my 31" inseam.

Do both the 99 and 05 that you are referencing have stock shocks set to the same level?

Apples to apples kind of a thing.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
I have an '01 LT and soon after purchasing the bike new from the dealer, I had them install the lowered seat --- there was some grinding they had to do, and there is less padding in the seat - but made it some lower ---- perhaps your '99 had the actual thinner padded lowered seat and the '05 doesn't have that???

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
The shocks on the 99 are most likely worn causing the bike to set lower. When I put new Ohlins on my 2000 it raised the bike a little over 1 inch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts