BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '99 LT went in for a 60,000 mile service this morning and I was expecting to pay £700 for the service, plus the price of a new front tyre and MOT. However, I'd been a bit unhappy with the ride quality for a while and had asked the dealer to check it out, which they did and then told me that the bike needed a new rear shock absorber and new steering damper to get it through its MOT and some other stuff too, and that I was looking at about £1,900 for the whole deal; OUCH!

So, what do I do now? The bike is probably worth less than £3,000 even if I get all the work done and who knows what the next thing to go might be (and how much that might cost?).

Is there a market for parts out there? Has anyone scrapped one of these yet or got any advice on how to go about this or how to sell the parts if I break it myself? Is anyone likely to be interested in it as is?

I hate to see such a marvelous motorcycle die as it has given us huge amounts of pleasure, but I think that things have gone beyond being economically viable.

Me and the wife will be in mourning as George (that's 'his' name) goes to the great big tour in the sky :-(

All thoughts and suggestions gratefully received!

MB

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
I have 54,000 miles on my 2000 LT & just ordered Ohlins shocks for it. To me it's worth every penny as the bike has been flawless over the 4 years that I've had it. As far as parting it out many have done it. Contact [email protected] for info. he started a buisness parting them out & can piont you in the right direction on how to do it

·
Registered
832 Posts
I'd say just fix it up. It will be good as new and give you more great times. My nephew is riding my old 1988 Kawasaki Concours' (GTR). It is in perfect condition and rides well.

·
Registered
475 Posts
60k is nothing!
You can part it on on ebay. Whether its worth parting out depends on the market value for a used LT.

If I were you I'd just fix it myself since the parts wont be that expensive. But labor costs are very high, so if you're not doing it youself it may not be worth it.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I'd suggest fixing the George and keeping him. I just turned 68k on my 2000 and she is running perfectly, better than ever. Met a guy on a recent trip to Utah who has a 2000 with 114k miles and says it runs like a dream.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I've run into this same issue on all of the automobiles that I've ever owned. My college car, a Honda CRX HF, is still my favorite toy on four wheels, but only in memory. That car was so much fun, I would have done anything to keep it. We had seen 275,000 miles together, but air conditioning systems changed, rust set in, shocks were giving out, the engine didn't have the power anymore, and eventually it just became unreliable to the point that I couldn't trust it more than 30 miles from home. I nearly cried when I used it as a trade-in for a Civic hatchback.

Now that I'm older and wiser, I really wish that I had kept the car. The fun factor is worth so much more than the monetary value. That's how I feel about my LT.

If I were in your shoes, I would strip the covers off of the bike and commit myself to a 2 month overhaul project. Send out a cry for help if you get stuck. Some members are looking for a reason to ride a 1000 miles (not sure if you can ride that far in the UK without going in circles) and your dieing bike may be just the excuse they are seeking. Some people will do it, to practice on a bike that isn't theirs so that they will know what they're doing when it comes time to work on their own bike. Offer up beer, pizza, free internet access, access to toilet paper, and a campsite in your back yard. If you say 'build it', they will come.

If the bike has been reliable other than the current issues, don't part it. Buy the parts and fix it, you'll be glad that you did...years and another 60,000 miles from now.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
You can buy an almost new, OEM rear shock for less than $100.00, and it takes 15 minutes to install. You do NOT need to take any tupperware off - just remove the battery.

I can show you how to do it.

The steering damper does not do a THING - and even if it did you could get a used one for $25.00, once again installation is a snap.

Seems to me like your dealer is finding great excuses to run the bill up... if you are even the slightest bit handy with tools the above tasks are EASY.

Try www.hannigansidecar.com, www.Beemerboneyard.com, or Tony at www.LTParts.com.

Once you get the shock I'll walk you through the installation. Don't pay attention to the "official" way to replace it which can take several hours and requires a lot of dis assembly, there is a very simple shortcut. I've done it several times... :thumb:

·
Registered
261 Posts
ugly truth time: these bikes have never been a matter of return on investment or practicality.

fact: i still have the R75/5 that i bought when i was in college - odo reads 171,000 miles and the amount i would gain from its sale or as parts is not enough to justify the excercise. the continuing maintenance on it has been so negligable to be not worthy of note. i rode it about 30 mountain road miles to a local rally this weekend and the feelings that riding it brought back were worth the original puchase price - $1695 circa 1980 dollars - all over again.

after puchasing a lemon 99 LT, i reinvested in a 2000 model, that is now happily heading over 60k miles. after experiencing expensive upgrades - shocks, saddle - and expensive failures -- final drive, ABS and cam chain tensioner - the bike has settled in to being exactly as i like it and essentially impossible to replace at 3-4 times its current book value.

consider this another journey - and an opportunity to get your bike more suited to you as a rider. pony up - do the work yourself - and ride the big girl until the crankshaft falls to dust.

ride on ;-)

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Unless there are major concerns about reliability I'd say fix it. It's a lot of money when you do that much work at once but it's still less than the depreciation on a new one. Do what you can yourself and figure on riding enough to get your money back in fun.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'll have to go along and say fixit. I have a '99 with 66.5k miles and I am facing some of the same questions. When I bought it 2 years ago I knew it was a project bike in the near future. Just ordered new wilbers shocks and some of the other little things that you need to eventually replace (gas tank disconnects and stuff like that). If the resale value is low just strip it down and learn how things work. It's fun and gets your mind off work. I hear new shocks are like a new bike. I'll get to see in about 3 weeks...

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,157 Posts
jlewis5151 said:
I'll have to go along and say fixit. I have a '99 with 66.5k miles and I am facing some of the same questions. When I bought it 2 years ago I knew it was a project bike in the near future. Just ordered new wilbers shocks and some of the other little things that you need to eventually replace (gas tank disconnects and stuff like that). If the resale value is low just strip it down and learn how things work. It's fun and gets your mind off work. I hear new shocks are like a new bike. I'll get to see in about 3 weeks...
Great savings right here... the 99 did not come with quick disconnects, just a tube and 2 collar rings per line.;)
+1 on new shocks. I just installed rebuilt Ohlins on my 05 at 40k miles and it is a new ride!!!
I only tooke the tank off and Tupperware of because I was also cleaning up some old wiring.

·
Registered
301 Posts
MB
No brainer man. Get a slightly used shock or aftermarket. Contact www.beemerboneyard.com and see if there is a used shock there. For that matter contact your local dealer or dealers and see if they one. The no brainer part is that would spend $thousands less replacing the shock vs. buying a new bike. If you like George that much spend a little on him and he will take you and your wife for many trips with smiles on your face. 60K on George is nothing. I rode my K11RS for 70K miles and 11 years.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Re: '99 LT, time to scrap it? Repair fo runder $500.00

I just put new Hyperpro springs on some Ebay BMW 05 original shocks Tha I picked up for $200 with less then >10k On them and the ride it back to the day it rolled off the line.

I still think My orgional shocks were fine (think they would be good to 100 K maybe)

For $239.00 would order the new shock springs front and rear. You can take the shock off your self and take them to a bike shop and have them put the new springs on. The Shop I took them to charged me $20.00 to change the springs for me.
New RIde for 459.00. My damper still is working fine.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47013

Good luck

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey thanks for all the advice guys!

I have already contacted Motorworks and they have given me an offer on the bike and some prices for bits from the UK, but they are much more expensive that the same parts in the US :-( So, I've sent off a couple of e-mails to US-based parts suppliers enquiring about shipping costs and import tax and hope that something makes sense.

I checked out the workshop manual last night and changing the shock and damper don't look too daunting and sounds to be even easier given the advice from you guys. Thanks for the offer c00k1e, we've never done Wales, but I suspect I'll be having a go myself and see how much spanner-rash and black-finger I can acquire. It's years since I did anything substantial in terms of working on a bike and it might even get me to work on my '76 Honda CB400F at last.

The dealer had already made a start on the service and done the oil, filter, plugs and valve clearances, so I have already notched up a £250 bill, but I wouldn't have attempted the valve clearances anyway, so that's not so bad after all.

I've let the Babe see your replies and we'll have a meeting of the George Appreciation Society, MB's Amateur Mechanics Co. and the Finance Committee and we'll see what transpires. We weren't looking forward to waving George off on the back of a trailer, the time we'd be without a bike and the trauma of looking for another LT. They are pretty hard to find second hand in the UK, the prices are pretty high and they go quickly.

You've all been a great help! I'll drop another reply once the decision is made and maybe take some of you up on your offers for advice and guidance.

Thanks again for you help one and all!

MB

·
Registered
256 Posts
mbenn42 said:
...I was looking at about £1,900 for the whole deal; OUCH! ...So, what do I do now? The bike is probably worth less than £3,000 ...
Do you have any other source where you can purchase a £3,000 motorcycle for £1,900... or less? ;)

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
60K? Don got over 300K on his. If you like riding it, keep it. If you want a different, go shopping. We did Ohlins on our 02, made it better than a new bike! No, not cheap, but we considered it more than worth the cost of the upgrade.

·
Registered
121 Posts
MB
If you check out the uk ebay, there is a company advertising shock absorber refurbs, motorcycle parts, k1200lt section, the prices look ok, no idea if they are any good, but i imagine they will offer a warranty.
Regards
Stevie
Company called Brook Suspension, tel 01274 414768, they offer a 2 year guarantee, i think price was around 85 pounds!!, & no i am not connected to them, havent used them, & am not reccomending them.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts