Does anyone have the specs on output of an LT generator

What are the amps or output current?

·
Registered
14,452 Posts
BaronVonGregg said:
Does anyone have the specs on output of an LT generator

What are the amps or output current?
In the '99 model year booklet, it lists alternator output at 840W.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is so funny... I have a BMW Service Manual and it does not state it.

I think 840 should be sufficient

Thanks Dick

·
Registered
14,452 Posts
BaronVonGregg said:
That is so funny... I have a BMW Service Manual and it does not state it.

I think 840 should be sufficient

Thanks Dick
I gave up looking in the Service Manual, Gregg. Instead, found it in the small Service and Technical Booklet that ole Toad had stored in behind the vanity mirror. Handy leetle booklet, butt not so much for wrenching - just for specs, and such. Glad it helped.

Best.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Dick

I have 116,000 and the generator is charging fine... but whats your experience with brushes and replacement?

I've got her down to bones to put braided brake lines and a run wires for a tablet PC

http://www.handheld-us.com/prod_algiz_8.asp?m1=products&m2=algiz8

Do you think its worth putting new brushes in or are they pretty tough?

Mike

·
Registered
14,452 Posts
BaronVonGregg said:
Hey Dick

I have 116,000 and the generator is charging fine... but whats your experience with brushes and replacement?

I've got her down to bones to put braided brake lines and a run wires for a tablet PC

Mike
I've never given that a thought, Gregg. I don't read much about it here on the forums, nor hear much about it at the shops. Guess it wouldn't hurt, butt I'd have to be well into the depths for other reasons, I think. Ole Toad is at 125K and hasn't needed a brush up so far. Maybe someone else will chime in that has found it necessary.

Or maybe they got rid of brushes with these newfangled alternators in the digital age!!! ;)

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
BaronVonGregg said:
Hey Dick

Mike
The brushes are a snap, as they are part of the voltage regulator, two screws to remove and replace.

HOWEVER: The problem with these units is that one of the slip rings wears out before the brushes do. I guess it is the positive or negative polarity that causes one of them to wear while the other does not. I have had three of these apart, and there is one in my garage that I had for a spare, all with one slip ring worn pretty badly.

You can have the slip ring replaced. It is one for a Bosch Internal Fan alternator. Bosch part number 13382.

You can get it from Wagner Alternator Supplies, Chino CA. Their Part Number W160-02

1 - 7 of 7 Posts