BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the proud new owner of a 99 lt. I bought her last week with 69k on her. I was bleeding the front breaks when I noticed that the top of the block was covered with a greasy gritty blend. It looks like years of fluid seepage mixed with road grime. The oily residue appears to be heavier on the head side of the block. I have not noticed any drips in the garage, so it must not be a full blown leak. Any thoughts on where to check?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,411 Posts
Most likely culprit is the breather hose on top of the engine. They are known to age and crack causing just what you are seeing. Not an easy fix as you have to pull tupperware off, the fuel tank and then the throttle bodies to get to it. But not a difficult one just labor intensive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jzeiler said:
Most likely culprit is the breather hose on top of the engine. They are known to age and crack causing just what you are seeing. Not an easy fix as you have to pull tupperware off, the fuel tank and then the throttle bodies to get to it. But not a difficult one just labor intensive.
Is this the hose that runs parallel to the engine and has a cap on the front end. If so, I would bet you are right. That seemed to be pretty wet. Any extra parts I should order, or just the breather tube?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Should I be concerned that I doused this whole area with simple green and then washed it of with a pressure nozzle? Any chance I got water in the crankcase or anywhere else it shouldnt be?

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
A pressure washer should never be used on a motorcycle. They tend to penetrate the seals (forks, shocks, clutch, brakes, etc) and contaminate the inside of things. Bottom line here though is do you think there was a large enough crack in the vent tube to get a significant amount of water into it? If so you may have contaminated your engine oil or gotten water into the intake. If you haven't run it yet, I would change the oil and blow out the cylinders with compressed air just to be sure. If you have run it, no need to worry about the cylinders, just check the oil to see if it looks milky or creamy colored. If so, change it out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
deanwoolsey said:
A pressure washer should never be used on a motorcycle. They tend to penetrate the seals (forks, shocks, clutch, brakes, etc) and contaminate the inside of things. Bottom line here though is do you think there was a large enough crack in the vent tube to get a significant amount of water into it? If so you may have contaminated your engine oil or gotten water into the intake. If you haven't run it yet, I would change the oil and blow out the cylinders with compressed air just to be sure. If you have run it, no need to worry about the cylinders, just check the oil to see if it looks milky or creamy colored. If so, change it out.
I did not use a pressure washer. Just a regular garden hose with a pressure nozzle. You know, one of the nozzles that does pretty much the same thing as putting your thumb over the hose.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
caryhenry said:
I did not use a pressure washer. Just a regular garden hose with a pressure nozzle. You know, one of the nozzles that does pretty much the same thing as putting your thumb over the hose.
I drained the oil and found no water. Filled her back up and went on my way...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts