BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery went dead so I removed it to recharge. When I put it back in and tried to connect the cables the starter began turning with the key on or off. Anyone have any idea what happened?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found another thread where the guy suggested pushing the start button several times while hooking up the cable and it will unstick. Well it worked. Thanks.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,421 Posts
mreuter said:
For your next try always connect on this Bike ground cable first and then plus.

Manfred
That risks a short to the frame on the tool you are connecting the positive with. Better to always put positive on first then the ground so if the tool touches the frame there will be no sparks. Even better would be to undo the negative terminal at the junction point behind the battery until the other end is connected to the battery. That way no sparks on the battery itself.

·
Registered
579 Posts
deanwoolsey said:
You need to replace your starter relay or you'll have big probelms down the road.
I'd suggest replacing the battery now and keep the charge up with the tender. Remember low voltage = high amperage, which is what welded the relay points together.

I still have the old style relay in my 2000LT. It was installed in Nov 99 when the "radio drain problem of those early bikes" killed my battery and I stuck the relay points. 88K miles and no starting relay problelms in the last 12 years!!

Barnett

·
Registered
228 Posts
wilbar00c said:
I'd suggest replacing the battery now and keep the charge up with the tender. Remember low voltage = high amperage, which is what welded the relay points together.

I still have the old style relay in my 2000LT. It was installed in Nov 99 when the "radio drain problem of those early bikes" killed my battery and I stuck the relay points. 88K miles and no starting relay problelms in the last 12 years!!

Barnett
I have a 2000.
Is that something I need to do something about?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts