BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I happened upon a thread in the HoW about putting the LT on the center stand. Ron Miller advised using the left foot on the stand, facing the rear of the bike, getting both the stand's "feet" on the ground, and STANDING on the stand lever.

I had tried pushing mine forward, then pulling backward, while pushing down with my right foot. This usually got it onto the stand, but it "wallered" right and left. I thought this wasn't too good.

Using the left foot and pushing hard, the bike just sits like it should. Not nearly as difficult to do as before. Learning new techniques is GOOD!

I know this is in the HoW, but I thought some of our newer members, me included, might not see it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
558 Posts
I face the bike with my left hand on the handlebar and right on the handle by the seat and put my right foot on the center stand and stand on it. It is as easy as can be. I have used the same thing on all my bikes over the years and have never had a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
ATFLT said:
I face the bike with my left hand on the handlebar and right on the handle by the seat and put my right foot on the center stand and stand on it. It is as easy as can be. I have used the same thing on all my bikes over the years and have never had a problem.
I weigh 205 lbs and simply "standing" on the CS is not enough for me to get it on the stand. I do exactly the same as described above but I shift my weight to the left first, then make one sweeping motion to the right to lift it on the stand. Kind of a one-two (left-right) motion.

Works like a charm every time... :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,285 Posts
Lee510 said:
I happened upon a thread in the HoW about putting the LT on the center stand. Ron Miller advised using the left foot on the stand, facing the rear of the bike, getting both the stand's "feet" on the ground, and STANDING on the stand lever.

I had tried pushing mine forward, then pulling backward, while pushing down with my right foot. This usually got it onto the stand, but it "wallered" right and left. I thought this wasn't too good.

Using the left foot and pushing hard, the bike just sits like it should. Not nearly as difficult to do as before. Learning new techniques is GOOD!

I know this is in the HoW, but I thought some of our newer members, me included, might not see it.
Glad to hear this is working well for you, but you left out an important part of the technique:

Your left hand should be on the left handlebar grip (with the fork to full left lock), and your right hand on the left saddlebag grip.

Vee yust vant to take care of zee back! ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RonKMiller said:
(with the fork to full left lock), and your right hand on the left saddlebag grip.
I hadn't seen the part about having the handlebar turned. Being to top heavy, I thought it best to have the front wheel straight. That also allows the beast to go straight back when going on the stand. Since I had such good luck with the wheel straight, I may stick with that for the time being. I do have my hand on the side case. Too tall, arms not long enough for the side grab handle.

I tried the seated method several times, but got nowhere. It felt like it might go, but just not quite there. Definitely didn't want to go sideways!
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top