BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm suspecting that one or both tires need balancing. At about 80mph I feel vibration that I believe is tire balancing related. Question! Can the tires be balanced on the bide or do they have to be removed? Has technology caught up with this on bike balancing feat? I added some of those visible pressure valve stem caps which may have thrown the balance off. Guess I'll pull then off and do a test run.

Attachments

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,603 Posts
I mount & balance my own tires & as an experiment a few years ago I did NOT balance either wheel. I then rode the bike up to & over 100 mph. I felt very little vibration in the tires. I left them like this for about 500 miles then I pulled the wheels & balanced them. I did notice what little vibration I had above 100 mph before was gone. Up to about 80 mph I felt no difference from balanced tires & non balanced tires. I still balance my tires just because it is easy & takes 5 minutes to do.

Your problem sound more like a bad tire then a balance problem.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
I'll throw out a possible solution, but since the tires are already mounted, it takes a little more time.

Dynabeads. When a buddy and mine changed out the tires on my VTX, we put them into the tires prior to mounting. i believe it was 4oz in the rear and 2oz in the front. Never worried about machine balancing and no vibration.

You can add them on a tire that is already mounted, but is pretty tedious. You have to bleed out the air, remove the valve and put the beads in via the valve stem.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ride-on is another option which also is a tire sealer in case of a puncture...It CAN NOT be used with Dyna beads (causes clumping)

Or you could ride at 79 mph

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.